For the past week I have been working with video content created in Camtasia and exported out of Camtasia Studio as AVI files using the Camtasia codec (TechSmith Screen Capture Codec). I then import the footage into Premiere Pro CS5 where I combine it with other elements. I had no problems with this until yesterday when I attempted to import an 18 minute long video created in Camtasia. The video exported fine and I am able to play it in full using Windows Media Player, but when I import it into Premiere, the video is only 2 minutes 38 seconds long (the first 2:38). I have attempted to re-export the video out of Camtasia Studio and attempted to re-import the footage into Premiere several times now, but the result is always the same. Premiere will only import the first 2:38.
I am on a PC running Windows 7 and Premiere Pro CS5. Not sure what other info might be helpful. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Some saved discussion links that may help
Techsmith codec http://forums.adobe.com/message/3692768
I have encountered the same, though not with Camtasia footage. I have never discovered exactly what contributes to the Duration being missed, but did find a workaround, though an odd one.
In my case, the files have been DV AVI's, via conversion from other formats, and PrPro misses the Duration of some, though not all. I found that if I Imported those problem files into Adobe Premiere Elements, then Exported them to the exact same format/CODEC, DV-AVI, those resulting files would Import into PrPro perfectly, and the Duration would be correct. Why? Never found the reason, or why seemingly identical files worked differently.
I can only guess that something is incorrectly formed/written in the offending files' headers, and PrElements corrects that. It has never failed to see the correct Duration.
Sorry that I do not have a better suggestion, other than, it happens to me too.
Instead of using the Techsmith codec, install Lagarith and save your recording with this codec.
Premiere has no issues with Lagarith.
I am still using Camtasia Studio 3 with Lagarith.
Thanks everybody for their insights.
I don't have Premiere Elements, but I attempted similar actions using Adobe Media Encoder. I'm afraid it did not work.
I installed Lagarith and re-exported the Camtasia footage using that codec, but again, I encountered the same issue.
I am now attemting to break down the video in Camtasia and exporting it in small chunks. This is mostly working. Sometimes a chunk imports into Premier just fine, other times I encounter the same issue as with the full length video.
Still open to suggestions but, I fear Jim may have had it right.
Thanks again for all the help.
After you have done your recording then save as avi with Lagarith.
This option is in the Camtasia Recoreder Tools options / General
Under Streams you set the codec. Give it a spin.
The Camtasia Studio 3 does not work on my pc, so I cut the video on the timeline.
What I was explaining is that the exact same thing happens, with some other material. The symptoms are exactly the same, as what the OP is encountering. It appears that the same problem can exist beyond the TechSmith CODEC's - while they might be causing the issue in the OP's case, the behavior is not limited to the TechSmith material.
From my investigations, it seems to be an improper file header, and PrPro's inability to fully extract the Duration information, and act on that.
In both the OP's case, and in mine (different input material), it seems to be unique to only certain files, where many Import with the proper Duration, but not all of the files. Without doing a spreadsheet, I would guess that it happens to me only about 5% of the time, with 95% of the files Importing perfectly, with the correct Duration.
In my case, seeing the same behavior, albeit with different soucrce material, I found commonality between the OP's issue, and what I have observed. That leads me to believe that there might be something wrong with the faulting files, that are not 100% unique to the TechSmith material.
I think the best way to work around this issue is to extract the actual .avi files created by Camatsia. I had the same issue, and searched the web and here as well with hardly any luck, and managed to fix it on my own. Techsmith needs to place this workaround where other people facing the problem can access this solution.
Simple open up the .camrec project in Camtasia Studio, then right click on the file on the Clip Bin then choose "Extract camrec contents."
Then choose a folder where you would like the extracted files placed. It will extract the video and audio separately, along with some icons. From here just import the newly created .avi file into premiere and use that file instead, along with the audio file to accompany your vide. This will show the full lenght of the video and not just a portion. While this worked out for me, I am not sure it will work out for everyone. If this solution works for anyone, please let me know. I am using the latest version of Camtasia 8, and Adobe Premiere CS6.
I found no reason to export as mp4, nor to export as .avi using the actual Camtasia Studio presets, or to install any other codecs x64 or other.
I am having the same problem with .avi files created with GoPro Cineform software. I take an .avi that is over 17 min and plays the full duration with Windows Media Player and every time I import it to PP CS6, it only imports a little over 3 minutes. Very frustrating. I would love to know how to import the whole file to PP...
I too am having the same issue with .avi files created with GoPro Cineform software. After converting a batch of raw MP4s to .avi files in Cineform, 4 out of 21 files showed up in Premiere Elements 11 with shortened durations. The original files were between 8'19'' and 10'33'' duration. The other files imported fine.