Skip navigation
Jeff20132
Currently Being Moderated

Upgrade from CS3?

Jan 8, 2013 3:33 PM

Hi,

I am a one man office and use different software for different projects (and probably never get really good at any of them).

I purchased Abobe InDesign some time ago, and upgraded to CS3 when it became available. I really haven't had a need for an upgraded version in a while... until now. I was prepared to upgrade; but, it appears there is no upgrade path available from my present version.

Am I just out of luck? For the amount of time I would use the software, it isn't worth the price of a new license. I still have the CS3 version on a backup system, and can do what I need to do from there if necessary. Or, I could compromise by moving to something less capable than CS6; but, for my present needs I can get by without all the features.

I read another post here that discussed an offer that was made before the end of 2012. Maybe that was only in Europe. Or, maybe it was never sent to me.

I know each software company must make money. I hope they understand, though, that in order to retain loyal program licensees, the program cost must be reasonable... especially to one-man-bands like me.

Am I missing something, or am I just out of luck upgrading?

Thanks

Jeff

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 8, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to Jeff20132

You're out of luck if you want upgrade pricing. Adobe announced a year or so ago that upgrades would be limited to one version back beginning January 1, 2013.

You may want to look into Creative Cloud. It's a bargain at 29.99/month and will include CS7 when it's released.

Details here: http://bit.ly/WqroTc

If all you need is page layout for print or pdf you could also look at Serif Plus (Windows only, AFAIK) or the open source (free) Scribus.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 5:24 PM   in reply to Jeff20132

My suggestion for people like you, who don't make enough from Creative Suite products to justify the outlay to stay current, is this: Use the one-month demo of any new CS version to get familiar with it and learn the new features. When a CSx job comes along, pay for Creative Cloud month-to-month. If your project doesn't net enough to make that work for you, then Scribus is your only obvious option.

You might find Serif Plus and/or Scribus will meet your needs. But frankly, if InDesign CS3 does what you need, don't bother upgrading. It'll become a problem if you need to exchange files with someone who does make enough from CS products to justify staying current, but if this is not a predictable need for you - if you just make PDFs for print - then why stop using CS3?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 4:58 AM   in reply to Jeff20132

If you look at the link I posted earlier you can click on the Creative Cloud choice there. You can get intro pricing with an annual contract or pay more (I think it's $70) for a month to month choice.

I may have another way to help you though...Are you on Windows or Mac? If Windows send me a private message.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points