Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to remove white transparent box in Illustrator

Jan 8, 2013 2:27 PM

Hi,

When I sent a complex artfile with transparency and special effects in Illustrator to print, a white transparent box shows up in some of the illustration. I think there's a way to go about resolving this problem in illustrator under the transparency flattener presets but not totally sure how to go about readjusting the numbers.

Please help!

Thanks,

stam168

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 8, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to stam168

stam,

I believe it could also be a printer (driver) issue; if the printer (driver) is performing colour management it will be likely to treat different kinds of artwork differently.

Have you tried saving/printing to PDF, and if you have, does it look right, on screen and when printing from Acrobat/Reader?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 3:08 PM   in reply to stam168

stam,

I forgot to ask: have you looked at possible colour management by the printer (driver)?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 3:36 PM   in reply to stam168

You may try to open your Printer>Printing Preferences in the OS Control Panel (the terms may be different depending on OS), and/or look under Properties for the printer (driver) in File>Print Setup in Illy.

Half an hour past midnight here.

I hope this helps or that someone has a suggestion.

Someone?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 4:02 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Is the box white or transparent? It can't be both. Well, I guess it could, but you wouldn't see any white if its transparent. So, I'll assume it's a white box.

What PDF job options did you save with?

What are the Docuemtn Raster Effects Settings?

RGB or CMYK file?

What happens when you open the file with Photoshop?

For my own references.... does a "plotter" support transparency?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 4:45 AM   in reply to stam168

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 6:11 AM   in reply to stam168

stam,

There is certainly no need to be sorry. Together we are here (and there, Scott over there, Monika over here) round the clock. I just wished you to know that I had to attend to other duties and hoped someone would take over, which someone did.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 7:53 AM   in reply to stam168

Slide your print/advanced settings of Raster?Vector over to all rasters.

Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 9.51.00 AM.png

If this works there is another post on this forum on how to edit your flatter prefs to make that setting permanent for all files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 2:32 PM   in reply to stam168

For my part you are welcome, stam.

Obviously, the resolution (and colour mode) should be adapted to the task, including printer/printing specifics/final size(s), and you may need different ones for different uses, especially if you increase the print size later.

In most cases, vector artwork is preferable, and it would be nice(r) to have a viable full solution for that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

I'm guessing that by exporting as a jpg you removed all transaprency, Which was what I was asking about the plotter. I didn't think it supported transparency so trying to adopt transparency for an unsupported defice is always going to result in odd output.

I suspect you could have simply selected everything and used Object > Flatten Transparency and then saved as a PDF and it would have worked. Or saved as a PDF 1.3 (Acrobat 4) file which will also flatten transparency when saving.

Glad you got it sorted though

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 3:23 PM   in reply to stam168

Possibly. I don't have your plotter. But PDF/1-a will flatten transparency. You might test that. It may make things easier in the future.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points