Skip navigation
Paulvickery
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign CS6 has started bombing out on launch.

Jan 9, 2013 2:21 AM

Tags: #indesign #cs6

Hi there,

Now, when I launch InDesign CS6, it crashes with this error detail from event viewer.

Date/Time:          2013-01-09 10:03:35.606 +0000

OS Version:        Mac OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

Report Version:  10

Interval Since Last Report:                      194113 sec

Crashes Since Last Report:                     39

Per-App Interval Since Last Report:        44975 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:       4

Anonymous UUID:                                   F843AE4F-0E7E-9223-C543-C50B8A905FD4

Crashed Thread:                                     0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

I've deleted preference file, and still keeps bombing out.

Need help ASAP....

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 9, 2013 3:32 AM   in reply to Paulvickery

I'm having the same problem since today with almost the same error details. I'm using Adobe Cloud. Reinstalling, deleting preferences and other cache/registry files (as recommended in earlier posts) is not working. Please help.

My log: http://pastebin.com/r3ieNaYx

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 5:07 AM   in reply to Paulvickery

This helped me. http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-l ocations.html

I deleted the files (empty trash can with Command pressed), started InDesign pressing Shift+Control+Option+Command and reset all preferences. Now working again...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 6:54 AM   in reply to Paulvickery

You posted the crash report up to the part we really need...

Please, however, do NOT post the entire report here. Post it on Pastebin.com and put a link here. No promises, but we might recognize the crash signature when we see the whole thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I'm having the same problem. Deleting preferences didn't help, but restarting the computer did.

This is a pretty serious problem, "no promises" isn't really satisfactory...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2013 5:53 PM   in reply to david668

I'm sorry you don't find "no promises" satisfactory. Crashes are complex, and most of us have very little expertise in the inner workings of ID and the OS -- we're just users. SOme crashes have distinctive signatures, and those we have learned to recognize, others are more cryptic and baffle even our most expert helpers.

Of course we can't help at all unless you post the reports as requested.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2013 6:44 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Sorry, I didn't realize you were a user

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2013 6:08 AM   in reply to david668

The only folks on the forums who actually work for Adobe have Staff badges next to their names. That shouldn't discourage you though, our regulars have dozens of years of real world experience working with the applicationa and solving problems (we have a much better record, I think, than Tech Support on the phone ).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2013 7:23 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Again, sorry.  Did you get anything from the crash that was posted?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2013 7:33 AM   in reply to david668

Nothing specific. Paul didn't post the part that would tell us what was happening, and jankoroleva seems to have found a solution, thogh that report shows a need to update ID to the lates patch, whcih may or may not have anythng to do with the issue.

That said, while some crashes are the same, many look like the same thing and are not, so you should post your own crash report on pastebin.com and put a link here or in a new thread that you start just for that purpose (and give us full details about ID version, OS, whether a clean install or an upgrade to the OS, and if you tried to migrate the applications).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2013 7:45 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Here you go: http://pastebin.com/Ckv3Agg5

CS6 w/updates

clean install

did not migrate

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2013 8:02 AM   in reply to david668

That looks familiar, but that's not good news. That's one of the one's I don't have a solution for. John Hawkinson is our resident expert on these, and perhaps he'll join us.

In the meantime, do you have any third party plugins installed, or a font manager? Did ID ever launch for you?

Are you able to run Adobe Extension Manager? If so, try unchecking the PMWelcomeScreen plugin so it doesn't launch on startup and try starting ID again. I believe that plugin is associated with the ShuksanInit(IStartupScreen* (*)(), IPlugIn*) + 28162 line just before the protective shutdown.

I think we're seeing quite a few problems with 10.8 that may be related to a change in Apple code (just a gut feeling) that happened after CS6 was tested and released.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2013 8:11 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

- no third party plugins or font manager

- InDesign does launch most of the time, but once it starts crashing this way, it won't launch successfully until the computer is rebooted

- I tried turning off PMWelcomeScreen, will report back

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2013 8:17 AM   in reply to david668

david668 wrote:

- InDesign does launch most of the time, but once it starts crashing this way, it won't launch successfully until the computer is rebooted

That sounds like it could be related to some other program that you start up sometime during your session, but that is not launched on startup.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2013 1:24 PM   in reply to Paulvickery

Paul,

There is a LOT more to a crash report than what's at the top of this page. Either you didn't get it all, or somebody edited your post. You can see waht you are missing by looking at the other reports in the links. You should post the whole thing again on pastebin.com and put a link here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

@ David,

Do you run Suitcase? Just had someone with a similar looking crash who may have narrowed it down to Suitcase Fusion 3.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 1:24 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

No.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 5:01 AM   in reply to Paulvickery

You need to give us a link.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 2:56 AM   in reply to Paulvickery

I've never seen that one before, but I think it might be graphics card related. Have you updated the video drivers recently?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 3:11 AM   in reply to Paulvickery

Suitcase 3 is NOT compatible with CS6 so I'd start by upgrading or removing that.

And was Mountain Lion a clean install or an upgrade? Did you migrate the applications? That doesn't work with ID, either.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 3:28 AM   in reply to Paulvickery

That's even older, so highly unlikely.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 3:40 AM   in reply to Paulvickery

I think you're skating on thin ice. But I'm a Windows user, and I haven't used suitcase since 2001 when I worked in a Mac-based shop. It gave me so much trouble then that I swore I'd never install it on a system I own, but obvioulsly others, like Bob, feel differently. He uses it one both paltforms and loves it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points