Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

MiniDVD Demuxing

Jan 9, 2013 6:39 AM

I often get the request to convert content from mini DVDs from camcorders into a standard DVD. Clients will come in "Hey can you turn this mini DVD into a standard DVD and make 3 copies to give to my family" etc. In these cases I typically just want to demux their mini DVDs and bring the .m2v and .ac3 files into Encore as assets and output a standard DVD. I like to avoid ripping altogether so these video files that have already been encoded once don't end up going back through the encoding cycle.

Both when demuxing or when ripping I run into what appears to be an interlacing issue. The resulting .m2v or .mov, or whatever container I choose, ends up having those terrible horizontal lines especially when their is movement happening onscreen. I'm particularly confused that this happens even when demuxing because, if I understand it correctly, I am making no changes to content that looks perfectly fine when played through the mini DVD that it is on.

Anyone have thoughts or experience in this area that can point me in the right direction?

I'm on a Mac and I use MPEG Streamclip for demuxing or ripping.

Branched from an earlier discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 9, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to KenatCintrex

I'm not sure if this is for PPro, but reading Bill Hunt on editing a VOB/MPG file http://forums.adobe.com/thread/464549 may give you some ideas

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 11:20 AM   in reply to KenatCintrex

This mini dvd is it as in video dvd or as dvd-rom.

As in video dvd why not just copy it to harddisk and bring the videofiles into Encore. Make menu and burn.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 1:56 AM   in reply to KenatCintrex

KenatCintrex wrote:

I often get the request to convert content from mini DVDs from camcorders into a standard DVD. Clients will come in "Hey can you turn this mini DVD into a standard DVD and make 3 copies to give to my family" etc. In these cases I typically just want to demux their mini DVDs and bring the .m2v and .ac3 files into Encore as assets and output a standard DVD. I like to avoid ripping altogether so these video files that have already been encoded once don't end up going back through the encoding cycle.

Both when demuxing or when ripping I run into what appears to be an interlacing issue. The resulting .m2v or .mov, or whatever container I choose, ends up having those terrible horizontal lines especially when their is movement happening onscreen. I'm particularly confused that this happens even when demuxing because, if I understand it correctly, I am making no changes to content that looks perfectly fine when played through the mini DVD that it is on.

Anyone have thoughts or experience in this area that can point me in the right direction?

I'm on a Mac and I use MPEG Streamclip for demuxing or ripping.

Hello.

I think one of your issues here has almost certainly got to be using MPEG StreamClip, as the libraries this uses are not officially supported or DVD compliant.

Another possible cause is a mismatch on the field order - when you bring in the demuxed M2V file it is vitally important to make sure the field order is correct in your Encore project - the symptoms you describe are classic for this issue.

You need to ascertain wether or not the miniDVD footage is encoded to upper field or lower field, and make certain Encore matches this.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)