Skip navigation
DesPro_7
Currently Being Moderated

Transform Again options are grayed out (dimmed)

Jan 9, 2013 9:27 AM

Tags: #transform #indesign #object #cs_5.5 #grayed #transform_again #dimmed #indesign_cs_5.5

I'm working in InDesign CS 5.5 and for some unknown reason, my Transform Again menu options are grayed out (dimmed). This is ALWAYS and FOREVER the case. Regardless of what it is I'm trying to apply the transform again command to. I've tried everything, even deleted/reset my preferences and still no resolution. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the issue might be??

I'm running on a Mac Pro if it matters.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 9, 2013 10:32 AM   in reply to DesPro_7

Not knowing your experience level, my response of course has to account for the fundamentals, so please don't take offense or conclude that I'm talking down. If there's a known bug in this function, I'm unaware of it, but someone here will point it out eventually, I should hope.

The Transform Again commands are only available under certain circumstances. There must be one or more qualified Transformations in memory, having been performed manually or numerically, and there must be one or more objects selected which is/are eligible to undergo the same operation(s).

Without going in to every succeed/fail scenario possible, there are plenty of conditions under which the commands are rightly unavailable. If your grasp of the function was limited or misguided, you could easily expect it to be available when it wouldn't be. I'm not saying that applies to you, but you haven't offered enough detail to rule it out.

Please detail a typical sequence of actions after which the commands are unexpectedly unavailable, and I or someone else will surely try to help identify and hopefully solve the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 2:22 PM   in reply to DesPro_7

It sounds to me like you are doing things correctly and the commands should be available.

Lets verify that you really replace the prefs completely next. There are two files involved and complete directions at Replace Your Preferences

Some Mac users have also found it necessary to remove the files on John's list at Adobe Forums: InDesign crashes at startup

If that doesn't solve the problem, my instinct is that your installation is damaged and you should try running the installer again and choose Repair, if possible, or uninstall and reinstall.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 3:35 PM   in reply to DesPro_7

Your workspaces and shorcuts should be fine and unaffected. You will have lost Document and Print Presets, however, unless you followed my advice to save them before deleting the prefs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 5:16 AM   in reply to DesPro_7

And NOW is the time to make backup copies of all that stuff.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points