Skip navigation
Cateleb12
Currently Being Moderated

MAC CS5 - PC CS5.5 - MAC CS5 = crashing

Jan 11, 2013 5:42 AM

Tags: #cs5 #mac #cs5.5 #crash

A document was created in MAC CS5, packaged and sent to PC CS5.5.  All masters, styles (para, text, table, cell) are created and then exported as INDML. Opened in MAC CS5. Formatting all okay until I images are placed (ia, indd, pdf - under 2mb). Document now ready for proofing. Exporte to PDF - CRASHED. After this initial crash, every time InDesign was relaunched, it crashed. At this point I don't have any information on the MAC. I am a freelancer. My computer is the PC CS5.5 (on-site) - Client MAC CS5 (off-site). I don't want my client seeing (on-site) PC as being a problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2013 6:46 AM   in reply to Cateleb12

This is, honestly, no way to work. You should both be on the same version.

That said, the fact that you are Windows and the client on Mac is NOT a factor here but if you can get the crash reports and post them on pastebin.com with a link here, maybe someone can help.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to Cateleb12

The continued crashing on launch probably means there's corrupt data in the InDesign Recovery folder.

Clearly something in the file is a problem in some way. Did you use any unsupported features (not a likley cause)? My suspision is that there is a bad image, which has nothing to do with the PC.

For starters, your client should try emptying the recovery folder, relaunch ID, and see if the last saved version will open. Then try exporting the file in two halves. If both halves work, it's probably a resource problem and the PDFs can be combined in Acrobat Pro. If one half crashes, the exercise should be repeated, dividing that half in half, until a page is isolated. Remove half the objects on that page and try the export, repeating the divide and conquer testing to isolate the object that is the problem. This might be best done on a copy of the file for safety.

The actual crash report from the Mac may also provide some clues. It can be posted on pastebin.com and a link to it put here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 2:44 AM   in reply to Cateleb12

Cateleb12 wrote:

Do you still want me to paste the 44 pages into my post?

Absolutley not. I want you to post it at pastebin.com and put a link here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 4:25 AM   in reply to Cateleb12

The crash seems to be in the text module, so the most likely causes in my opinion would be a bad font or a problem with a font manager. Do you run a font manager?

for general font troubleshooting, see Troubleshoot fonts | Mac OS X

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 2:45 AM   in reply to Cateleb12

It would also be good to know if the file can be exported in two pieces.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points