Skip navigation
jredwine17
Currently Being Moderated

Error message then crashes

Jan 11, 2013 10:40 AM

i am usuing PS 5.5.  Has been working fine fo years and suddenly now upon clicking save for web, i get  the error message; could not support the export command because photoshop 5.0 does not supply the services required by the plug-in module and then crashes.

Please assist.

Julie

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2013 11:04 AM   in reply to jredwine17

a reinstall not feasible? or a reset of preferences i'd try first

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 5:38 PM   in reply to jredwine17

What services is it looking for.  Perhaps it has been discontinued.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jan 28, 2013 3:13 AM   in reply to jredwine17

Could you give us more information about your machine and photoshop?

What did change recently that might have caused the issue? did you install a given program, system updates?

If it is really Photoshop 5.5, there might not be help>system info that you can copy and paste here, but if you are using CS5, there will be.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jan 28, 2013 3:35 AM   in reply to jredwine17

I am afraid that very few people will be able to help you. 5.5 was released in the last millenium, in 1999! and it was written for NT or windows 95/98... At that time, Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7 did not exist, and you are running it in 7. Did you try saving as a regular JPG?

I'm wondering, if you cannot pay for the full version, and that the other software you would get with Creative Cloud don't intersest you, I'd look into Photoshop elements, it costs lower than $100, and is written for the modern OSes.

You can remove the system updates if you go to program and features, and select view installed updates on the right side. You will see when they have been installed, and can uninstall them with a right-click, but proceed with extreme caution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 3:38 AM   in reply to jredwine17

PS 5.5 may be looking for certain 16bit components that long have bene removed from Windows. As the others already said, it's simply not compatible.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 6:55 AM   in reply to jredwine17

Lots of stuff on the web, just type in Photoshop Elements vs Photoshop.  Here is one http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopfamily/buying-guide-version-com parison.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 6:58 AM   in reply to jredwine17

There are also some free programs, such as GIMP, but have never tried them. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 7:26 AM   in reply to jredwine17

Adobe only sells and supports only the latest version.  Version 7 was probably the best old version.  Some have it running on Win7, others have problems getting it to run.  Finding someone to sell it is a problem.

Looks like GIMP does layers.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points