Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"Cannot perform SmartMix"

Jan 13, 2013 2:36 PM

Tags: #audio #smartmix

Hi,

This is my first post here so be gentle...!

I've spent quite some time wrestling Premiere Elements 11 to the ground today. About two hours ago, SmartMix worked perfectly - attenuated the background music in the background and brought the narration to the foreground nicely.

Now, it doesn't. Suddenly, using the same files, it says it cannot perform the SmartMix because it's missing audio in the foreground or background. All I did between then and now was relocate the project, that is, move from one folder to another, then when it asked where the new files were, I told it. All was going perfectly until I tried the SmartMix.

But the files are there! I can hear them. I can edit them. I can manually move the volume points around in them. I mean, I could just manually edit them all now but the SmartMix is really handy and will save me a lot of time here. Plus I want this to be a template for possibly many more videos to come in future and if this isn't right, they won't be right either.

If I start a new project and just throw in the audio, I get the same message. And yet it worked fine a few hours ago.

Any ideas? The audio is 44.1 Hz 16-bit mono (I know my audio - it's recorded through Cubase, using my own music as the background). What could be happening here? Is it anything to do with the project settings? Do some of them not like mono or something?

Any suggestions welcome. And I think I'm going to be posting a lot more on this forum over the next few days because some other aspects of this software mystify me...

Thanks, Brendan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 13, 2013 3:25 PM   in reply to BrendanCooper

When you set up your Smart Mix tracks, have you ensured that none of the tracks you list as Foreground or Background are empty?

Can you post a screen capture of your timeline and Smart Mixer?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 6:40 AM   in reply to BrendanCooper

Brendan,  One of the Moderators at Elements Village has just referred me to your post and Steve's reply.  (BTW, I just completed Steve's excellent tutorials on PE11 at Lynda.com -- highly recommended, complements the Adobe Classroom book wonderfully).

I seem to have had a similar problem to the one you describe while working through chap 9 (on Sound) in the Adobe Classroom book.

See the discussion here

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?p=656231#post6562 31

all best

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to gbrmk

Thanks, Brian! And thanks for the kind words about my Lynda.com course!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 11:43 PM   in reply to BrendanCooper

It seems one of audio files ( Naration , Audio1 , Soundtrack ) is still missing .

I tried the same thing on my system , smart mix worked fine.

If still you are not able to figure out whats gone wrong , You can delete all elements from track , and add them again from project Assets . Then try smart mix . It should work .

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 6:25 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Very welcome Steve!   (PS -- nobody pays me for writing this stuff LOL!)   And SmartMix works perfectly confirmed by a test suggested over at Elements Village.

all best

Brian

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points