Skip navigation
george40422
Currently Being Moderated

Why does PSE10 take 35 sec to create or delete a file?

Jan 14, 2013 11:16 AM

Tags: #photoshop_elements_10

Every time I create a new file from the Editor or delete a file either from the Editor or from Organizer, the program just sits there for at least 35 seconds before I can go onto to my next action.  I really would like to clean out some old pictures but everytime I delete a file, I have to sit there and wait.  This is very irritating!

I have 8 GB of memory, 32 GB of free disk space and a catalog that takes up 73 GB with 29,000 pictures.

Here's the system info about me

Elements Organizer 10.0.0.0

Core Version: 10.0 (20110831.m.17215)

Language Version: 10.0 (20110831.m.17215)

Current Catalog:

Catalog Name: PublicCatalog

Catalog Location: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\PublicCatalog\

Catalog Size: 123.2MB

Catalog Cache Size: 1.1GB

System:

Operating System Name: Vista

Operating System Version: 6.0 Service Pack 2

System Architecture: Intel CPU Family:6 Model:15 Stepping:11 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP

Built-in Memory: 3.2GB

Free Memory: 1.8GB

Important Drivers / Plug-ins / Libraries:

Microsoft DirectX Version: 9.0

Apple QuickTime Version: 7.72

Adobe Reader Version: 10.1

Adobe Acrobat Version: Not installed

CD and DVD drives:

D: (TSSTcorp CDDVDW BUS: 1 ID: 1 Firmware: SH-S202N)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 14, 2013 9:21 PM   in reply to george40422

Something is really wrong here.

I have 8 GB of memory, 32 GB of free disk space and a catalog that takes up 73 GB with 29,000 pictures.

If a catalogue has taken all that space then clearly it is bloated for over use.  I don't have the answer to your original question because I thought all Adobe products takes some time before launching  I have recently installed DW, Photoshop and Fireworks all from CS6 bundle and they are all too slow to open on my machine.

Have you tried deleting/moving some photos from its original location to somewhere else and then launch the PSE organizer to re-catalogue your pictures?  It is worth a try because it looks like you need to recreate the catalogue from scratch.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2013 9:14 PM   in reply to george40422

If you want to delete some pictures, I would advise deleting the same fro Organizer itself. Select the corresponding thumbnail, hit Del key and choose to tick the checkbox corresponding to "Also delete from hard disk".

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 10:02 AM   in reply to george40422

george40422 wrote:

Any more ideas???

Have a look at this paper:

http://kb2.adobe.com/community/publishing/856/cpsid_85658.html

There must be something really wrong with your hardware/software setup.

Suggestion : is there a difference if you switch off 'watched folders' and all auto-analyzer options and restart your computer ?

Also, is the time to delete ten selected files 10 x 35 seconds = around 6 minutes ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 11:50 AM   in reply to george40422

George,

Normally the scratch disk is supposed to be a fast internal drive. Using an external drive could not help. But I think that in your case everything can take place in the normal RAM and the scratch disk does not come into play.

You confirmed what I expected in your experiment of deleting only from catalog, which brought no improvement.

I would rather suspect something wrong with your antivirus or firewall settings.

Did you reset your prefs ?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 8:03 PM   in reply to george40422

OK try this:

1) On your system, create a new profile with limited privileges;

2) create or copy some photos to your MyPictures folder;

3) In PSE, create a new catalogue from PSE Organizer;

4) log off from this account momentarily so that all your settings are saved;

5) log back to this account and then try everything like deleting the files etc to see if it is faster this time.

Good luck and post back.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to george40422

George,

In reading about your problem I keep having a query about your RAM.

You say that you have 8GB RAM but I notice that PSE is only seeing 3.2GB.

I know that PSE is a 32bit application and can only use about 3.2GB but on my Windows 7 system with 8GB RAM, PSE reports that there is 8GB

System:

Operating System Name: Windows 7

Operating System Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

System Architecture: Intel CPU Family:6 Model:14 Stepping:5 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP

Built-in Memory: 8GB

Free Memory: 3.8GB

I don't have Vista so the difference could be down to the way Vista works - perhaps someone else with Vista could comment on this.

My other thoughts are just to confirm that you are using Vista 64bit and that PSE isn't being run in some XP emulation or compatibility mode is it?

Have you tried using task manager to see if it gets processor bound during a 35 sec delete?

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 1:07 PM   in reply to george40422

George,

Your performance graph does show some activity but the graphs are not all at the top and therefore I don't think that you are processor bound at that time - it doesn't seem to be working very hard.

It is hard for me to see clearly but, just below the graphs, there is text giving the physical memory and the total appears to be 3309 which is less than the 8GB you think you have. What I am wondering about is perhaps half your memory has failed and is dragging the performance of the rest down.

I don't think he size of the catalog shouldn't make the significant increase in time that you are seeing but it might use more memory to access the indexes and so I'm thinking that faulty memory could slow everything down.

If you have the 32bit Vista OS, then I don't think that it can address more than 4GB - what are you looking at that says you have 8GB?

In the vista control panel, you should see either System or System Info (I can't be sure as I don't have Vista). Can you see if they tell you any more about your system.

Out of interest, if you delete an image from the catalog but not the disk, how does the timing compare with when you delete from both.

This does seem to be a tricky problem, has it always been like it or has it suddenly got worse?

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 1:42 AM   in reply to george40422

George,

My comment about "bad" memory was because I have seen PCs where part of the memory goes faulty and cause lots of interupts thereby slowing the throughput of the computer.

However, I don't think that is your problem. Although you have a physical memory of 8GB, a 32bit operating system is not very efficient with large amounts of RAM (>4GB). I don't think that you gained very much by the memory upgrade.

I think you would benefit from using a 64bit OS (if your processor supports it) but that is not a simple upgrade. Rather than Vista 64, you might think of Windows 7 or 8 63bit.

The other thing that I have noticed is that you only seem to have a small amount of free disk space. Have you tried defraging your drive? The less space there is on a drive, the more untidy it gets and files take longer to create and delete.

Both of the above factors (RAM & Disk space) will affect your timings and I agree with you in that the more you add to the catalog the slower it will get. I think that it needs more space to work in otherwise it is just paging its memory in and out for much of the time.

Have you tried deleting more than one image at a time? That might save time in that the indexes may only be read once.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 7:31 AM   in reply to george40422

George,

If you don't using the organiser facilities like tags & albums but just want a browser, then you could just use windows explorer. You can set up te system so that a right click will give you the option to edit the image in the PSE editor.

I am guessing that you are working most of the time in Folder Location view. To delete multiple images, you could select each one (in Folder Location view) and assign a tag (perhaps called DelMe) to it. After you have tagged a few, then switch to Thumbnail View and select the tag (DelMe) and that should just show all the images to be deleted. You should be able to then delete those images irrespective of which folder they are in.

Another thing you could do is move some of your image folders to an external drive. [By using organizer of course]. This should then give you more space on your main disk.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to george40422

George,

If you have moved folders to an external drive and that drive is powered off, the images will be classed as missing when you load organizer.

There is a preference setting which you should turn off - see Edit -> Preferences -> Files - uncheck the Automatically Search for and Reconnect Missing Files - this stops the organizer trying to connect the missing images.

The folder would not be visible in folder view and in thumbnail view there may be a ? over the thumbnail.

When the external drive comes on line next, you should be able to see everything again as normal.

If you do think about moving folders, I suggest to try a sample first.

If you are going to do mass moving around, do you have a full backup of your images and catalog? - always a good thing to have.

Good luck

Brian

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points