Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lost access to scanner in PS CS6

Jan 14, 2013 2:00 PM

I'm using Mac OSX10.6.8. I have an Epson Perfection 2400 scanner that I would access in Photoshop CS4 under File/Import/Epson 2400. And then scan.

After I installed PS CS6, that palette option is gone. How do I access my scanner again?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 14, 2013 2:04 PM   in reply to kiski

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to kiski

It may be that your drivers are old PPC and will need to update your drivers. Otherwise, personally, I do all my scanning in the background with the stand-alone scanner software. All TWAIN really does is call that scanners software, so there’s no quality difference, plus you’re not locking Photoshop up just to doing scanning. You can retouch and edit images in Photoshop while you scan in the background – which I find is far more efficient.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 9:36 PM   in reply to kiski

Or you used to be running in 32 bit addressing (because few scanners have 64 bit TWAIN drivers).

But in CS6, even in 64 bit, you should have the ImageCapture driver available.

Though, if it's an older scanner, they may not have an ImageCapture driver.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 10:05 PM   in reply to kiski

You could run both at the same time... (only works on OS X)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 11:38 PM   in reply to kiski

You don't open the plugin, you just put it in the Photoshop plug-ins folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 8:06 AM   in reply to kiski

A Mac has no 32 bit mode in CS6.  THere is no 64 bit TWAIN.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to kiski

If you want to scan directly into Photoshop CS6, Vue-scan (Hamrick software) is your best bet. To see for yourself, download the demo and see if it's for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 4:57 PM   in reply to kiski

What I was trying to say is that you can not use TWIAN on a Mac CS6 system as TWAIN is only for 32 bit programs and CS6 is 64 bit program.

You can use the scanner's software, or if you want a interface like you are used to you will have to try and perhaps buy the VueScan as Gene7 suggested.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 5:41 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I don't give that advice lightly either, Curt. In all my years using Photoshop,whenever Adobe, Microsoft, or Epson no longer supports what I want, I gladly pay for that third party option so that I can get on with my work. Case in point was Photoshop thumbnails not being displayed in Windows. After a year of back and forth with Microsoft, I bought a third party codec for $20, problem solved.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2013 7:38 PM   in reply to gener7

+1 to gener7's point of view.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This