Skip navigation
balubeto
Currently Being Moderated

"Unable to open a virtual memory file" and "Unable to initialize Photoshop" errors

Jan 16, 2013 8:16 AM

Hi

I installed Photoshop CS6 64-bit on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit.

When it starts, these two messages are displayed:

Unable to open a virtual memory file because the file is locked. You do not have permission or the file is being used by another program. ...

Unable to initialize Photoshop because the file is locked. You do not have permission or the file is being used by another program. ...

How come?

Thanks

Bye

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 17, 2013 1:33 AM   in reply to balubeto

I’m a Mac user myself so I can only offer generic advice.

Have you repaired permissions yet?

Boilerplate-text:

Are Photoshop and OS fully updated and have you performed the usual trouble-shooting routines (trashing prefs by keeping command-alt-shift/ctrl-alt-shift pressed while starting Photoshop after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed, 3rd party plug-ins deactivation, system maintenance, cleaning caches, font validation, etc.)?

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jan 17, 2013 4:55 AM   in reply to balubeto

Hello, are you administrator on your machine?

Do you have the rights to the C: drive?

Is Photoshop installed at the default location?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 17, 2013 6:21 AM   in reply to balubeto

I'm thinking you're having trouble (possibly because of permissions as has been stated above) specifically accessing your TEMP area.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 17, 2013 8:01 PM   in reply to balubeto

Read up on the Microsoft facility called "UAC".  You are not normally running things with Administrator privileges even if you're logged in to an account that is in the Administrators group.  UAC sees to it that you're running with lowered privileges, no matter what account you've logged into.  It's supposed to help protect you from yourself, but usually it just gets in the way.

Try running Photoshop "As Administrator" (i.e., from the icon or start menu entry you normally use).  This is a way to grant Administrative privileges to it.  See if that doesn't clear up the problems.

Something else to check:  Go to the folder identified by your TEMP environment variable.  Check the permissions.  Your username specifically needs to have Full Control permissions for that folder and everything in it.  It's not a bad idea to give the Administrators group Full Control permissions as well.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 10:10 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I totally agree with this:

Try running Photoshop "As Administrator" (i.e., from the icon or start menu entry you normally use).  This is a way to grant Administrative privileges to it.  See if that doesn't clear up the problems.

Something else to check:  Go to the folder identified by your TEMP environment variable.  Check the permissions.  Your username specifically needs to have Full Control permissions for that folder and everything in it.  It's not a bad idea to give the Administrators group Full Control permissions as well.

and you need try to update your pc 's drivers too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 1:17 PM   in reply to balubeto

Other than Run As Administrator, the only way around it, that comes to my mind, is to create a new Administrator Account (not just one with Administrative privileges), and boot with that.

Are you able to set up an Administrator Account?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 18, 2013 8:22 PM   in reply to balubeto

Are you running it from the account you used to set it up on the machine?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 19, 2013 5:21 PM   in reply to balubeto

You could uninstall Photoshop and reinstall it.  I'd suggest using the Creative Sute Cleaner Tool process for uninstalling:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Make SURE that before you start the uninstall, you save whatever actions, brushes, etc. you have defined so that you'll be able to re-load them when you've reinstalled a fresh copy.

Beyond that I see no easy way to advise you how to fix a system with fouled-up permissions.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points