Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Blu-Ray

Jan 15, 2013 8:46 AM

Hi there,

I have just completed a wedding project in Premiere CS.6 with a Timline length of  03:01:34:23. Files are MXF Format as it was shot with a Canon XF305.

I now want to transfer this into Encore would is best to go the Dynamic Link way or just export it out through AME?

My other question is will I get the 3hour timeline on one blu-ray disc, I only want to use one main menu also?

I look forward in hearing your comments.

Regards

Wayne

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 15, 2013 6:50 PM   in reply to wayne greensill

I just spent about a week trying to get this to work, as getting 3 hours of quality HD onto a single layer BD is not easy using Adobe tools alone.  Here's what I ended up doing.

1. Install the free UT codec.

http://umezawa.dyndns.info/archive/utvideo/

2. Install Xvid4PSP (version 5, not 6)

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/XviD4PSP

3. Export out an AVI file using the UT codec, YUV420 option (ULYO).  You don't need audio, just video.  (The file will be huge.  Have plenty of room, like 500GB or more available space.)

4. Open that exported AVI in Xvid4PSP.

5. Under Format, select BluRay

6. Filtering, Color Correction and Audio set to Disabled.

7. For the Video encoding, select any x264 preset.

8. Click the gear next to Video encoding, and on the CLI tab, erase what's there and paste the following, then hit Apply and OK.

--crf 22.0 --preset slower --ipratio 1.00 --pbratio 1.00 --vbv-maxrate 40000 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --level 4.1 --keyint 24 --slices 4 --colorprim "bt709" --transfer "bt709" --colormatrix "bt709" --sar 1:1 --bluray-compat --open-gop

9. Hit the Encode button and select your preferred directory.  You may get a warning about other files, just hit OK.

10. The encoding may take all night.  On my i7 920, it took about 8 hours.

11. Once encoding is done, you can dig into the Stream folder and take out the video file - 0000.mts or something like that.  Bring that into Encore as an asset, it will not require transcoding.

Viola, a very high quality, 3 hour HD file that fits onto a 25GB BD with plenty of room to spare for audio and menus.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Nice, Jim!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 1:06 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the sharing your alternate workflow, but you didn't state why you couldn't/didn't use Adobe. Did you find the quality lacking? I just fired up a bitrate calculator that suggested 17 as the data rate for 3 hours of H.264 Blu-ray, and I exported a short sample at that rate and thought it looked pretty good. I guess it is up to the individual to compare samples and figure out the workflow that is best for their needs, or "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 6:47 PM   in reply to wayne greensill

YUV420 (ULY0) or the (ULY2) version?

ULY2 is 422.  It'll work, but the file will be unnecessarily larger.  The 420 version is best for this purpose.

PAL makes no difference here, however it will in the CLI window.  Those settings presumed 24p.  What's your source media?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 6:49 PM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

Did you find the quality lacking?

I did.  Especially the lower light/high ISO shots.  x264 in CQ mode is just beautiful, and at smaller file sizes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 6:33 AM   in reply to wayne greensill

Hi Wayne,

When exporting a Premiere timeline to DVD or Blu-ray output, the audio is typically encoded to a separate .wav file. Therefore if you have already encoded the program, and later realize you need to change or fix the audio back in Premiere, simply do so, then just export as a .wav file which takes just a couple of minutes, and drop that into the Encore timeline with the video you had encoded earlier. No need to re-do the entire works, unless you had modified the video or length of the program. I do this quite often, as I might notice some audio issue when previewing the Encore project and can quickly correct it.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 11:54 AM   in reply to wayne greensill

Thanks for your reply. I wish I had have known that earlier lol. As I have now started encoding again Aghhh!

When you must reexport for Encore, it is best to export to a new name; "replacing asset" with the same name often leads to problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 11:05 AM   in reply to wayne greensill

I wish I had have known that earlier lol.

I said this in post 1.

"3. Export out an AVI file using the UT codec, YUV420 option (ULYO).  You don't need audio, just video."

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 11:06 AM   in reply to wayne greensill

it was my own fault exported it out as 720x576

That'll do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 11:07 AM   in reply to wayne greensill

My source media is Mxf, shot with the Canon XF305.

I mean like 1080i/25?  Or something else?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to wayne greensill

it needs transcoding again, is this correct?

It is not.  Properly done, the file will not require transcoding.

The CLI settings listed earlier are for 24p media.  It will probably have to be adjusted for your 25i media.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 2:13 PM   in reply to wayne greensill

Wayne,

Being to new to Blu-ray, you might try the standard workflow before jumping into complex third-party shareware stuff that needs a script to run. Trust me, I have learned the hard way from years of experience. Most recently fighting with the "HD2SD"  avisynth workflow business and multiple third-party softwares involved and endless testing and burning of coaster discs trying to attain the Holy Grail of DVD quality.

Why not just encode your video using AME? If my math was correct the other day and you encode at 17, either CBR or using 17 AVG for VBR, that should get you going. I know Jim said he wasn't happy with the quality, but everyone has their own set of eyes and expectations, and the source footage plays a BIG part in how the end result comes out as well.

I see so many people on forums saying they would NEVER put two hours on one DVD, yet that is all I ever do and NO ONE has EVER complained about my quality. EVER. After 20 years in the business, I have found that no one is as fussy about picture quality as ourselves. The average person doesn't know the difference, and might just be THRILLED to have their wedding on Blu-ray and would never notice any compression deficiencies that us "experts" like to nitpick about. I see compression all the time on cable shows and complain to my family, "Did you SEE that?!" and they think I'm crazy.

I gave my own brother a 3-hour Blu-ray of HIS wedding celebration and it looked great to me and everyone else that watched it (yes, I also supplied the shorter version).

Do what you gotta do, but it's your time ;-)

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 3:41 PM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

Jeff's probably right.  Your 25i media will complicate things, and I don't have any to test with.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 11:05 AM   in reply to wayne greensill

If you want to play around and test things out yourself, this link will help you understand the settings in Xvid4PSP available when you click that little gear icon.

http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points