Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Painting with fills and strokes

Jan 15, 2013 1:40 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 15, 2013 1:40 PM   in reply to Community Help

ok, I hope someone can help. I have done a box with an outline (stroke) in illustrator, I then copy and paste it into indesign BUT suddenly my stroke automatically becomes a fill in indesign. I´m going crazy! Why does my stroke in illustrator converts to a fill in indesign? What am I doing wrong?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 2:24 PM   in reply to joernkate

Please show with visible appearance panel and layer panel.

plus: what are the options for the clipboard?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 2:31 PM   in reply to joernkate

Why are you drawing the box in ai and the copy/pasting into indd? Why don't you just draw the box in indd and avoid the issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 3:33 PM   in reply to joernkate

Strange things can happen when you copy stroked and filled objects from Illie and paste them into InDesign.

I have noticed that the strokes sometimes get separated from their fills resulting in 2 objects.

You would do far best to either (1) make a new file of the box and place it into InDesign (save it as an .ai file with pdf compatability) or (2) draw the box in InDesign and avoid the issue (like J.Reid suggests).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 1:39 AM   in reply to J.Reid

I´m doing it in ai because I want a charcoal pencil effect on my line. Basically I´m doing a frame for a picture. Here are the lines that I mean: http://lillarogers.com/mati-mcdonough/

For some reason my line becomes a fill which does help because I would like to paste a picture in the frame. Can some help??

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 2:32 AM   in reply to joernkate

You must expand effects prior to copying.

InDesign doesn’t understand Illie effects and you didn’t mention in your first post that you were using them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 3:15 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Do you mean Expand Appearance or just Expand? What does this actually do? It just make my line a fill and no longer a stroke. I´ve tried both and did Copy/Paste into Indd and I still get a fill and not a stroke eventhough it´s a stroke in ai.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 4:10 AM   in reply to joernkate

joernkate wrote:

I´m doing it in ai because I want a charcoal pencil effect on my line.

That was what I expected and why I asked for a screenshot of the appearance panel.

You can't paste live brushes from Illustrator into InDesign. That's just it. They will always be expanded automatically. You don't need to worry about which expand to use.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 10:38 AM   in reply to Community Help

Whilst it's true, you can't paste a live brush into Indd, what you can do is the following:

Create a box with no fill, make it the size you want and apply the brush. Save that as an eps with a transparent background. Place the image into indd. Put your image behind it and group them. This should create the effect you're looking for.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to J.Reid

Yes. But don't save as an EPS. InDesign doesn't really like EPS anymore. Save an AI with PDF compatibility and place it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

Which is exactly what I suggested in post #4.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 3:56 PM   in reply to Community Help

I am drawing a squiggly line in Illustrator CS6.  The line has a variable width with a gradient (imagine an intestine), and in a few places where the line bends sharply, the outside edges of the bent parts overlap.  The problem is that they are overlapping in the "wrong" order-- that is, if the squiggle were in 3D, the parts that should look like they should be behind other parts turn out looking like they are in front and vice versa.  I have tried searching the Help pages for "reverse order anchor points" and "switch stroke direction overlap" and the like to no avail. 

What I want to be able to do is to "pull" certain anchor points of my line "forward" (in the same layer) so that that the edges of the line associated with them overlap in the other direction.  Thoughts??

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to KDS4444

Please show.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 3:21 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

Here is a link to a page with an illustration of the problem I am having:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Temp_mollusc_illustration.svg

I have pointed out with a red arrow an example of the issue.  The arrow points to a secion of the green path (part of an illustration I am making of the intestines of a mollusc) which needs to go behind, not in front, of the large bulbous green stomach portion.  Does this make sense now?

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 4:55 AM   in reply to KDS4444

i couldn't tell you if there is a 'neater' way, but I'd just cut the path at the points i want to go behind and send those parts back.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points