Skip navigation
Banghans
Currently Being Moderated

Why do I get black bars around my video?

Jan 16, 2013 4:13 PM

Why do I get bars on all sides around my video? This is captured on a 4:3 DV-camera (Panasonic) - but the camera has put black bars over and under the video to make it 16:9. I have tried all combinations of standard and widescreen in and out - but I always end up with black bars on all four sides of the video My television does not have a zoom option to make this fill the screen, although the aspect ratio is perfect.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 16, 2013 4:19 PM   in reply to Banghans

Welcome to the forum.

What is the make/model of your camera?

Some do not really shoot Widescreen 16:9, but only shoot a cropped Standard 4:3, and that cropping just adds black bars to simulate Widescreen 16:9.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 4:40 PM   in reply to Banghans

With SD Video, the difference between Standard 4:3 and Widescreen 16:9 is the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio). The pixel x pixel size is the same, but for Standard 4:3, the pixels, themselves, are narrow (0.9 for NTSC), and for Widescreen 16:9, they are wider (1.2 for NTSC).

If one has shot with a pseudo-Widescreen, they still have Standard 4:3, PAR=0.9 (for NTSC) material, that has been effectively cropped to "look" like Widescreen.

If one has a Standard 4:3 Project, but wish to have the pseudo material fill the screen, then they would need to use the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale, to enlarge that Clip to fill the top & bottom of the Frame, with an effective cropping of the left & right (or perhaps only one side, if the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position is used), of that Clip's image.

When it comes to how material is displayed on an HD TV, one has several possible options. If the material is coming from a DVD-Video, then the player may have options for how the footage is handled. Also, many newer TV's have settings for how Standard 4:3 is displayed on them, regardless of the signal. It differs by the exact equipment.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 5:11 PM   in reply to Banghans

If one were to apply the adjustments to "fill the Frame" to the first Clip, then it's easy to apply that to all other, similar Clips, in the Project. Just make the adjustments (Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale) to the first, then Rt-click on that, choosing Copy. Next, Select all other similar Clips, Rt-click on them, and choose Paste Attributes. Done.

When Scaling, some image degradation WILL occur. That is unavoidable.

Personally, I would not use a pseudo-Widescreen Mode, but that is just me.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 5:33 AM   in reply to Banghans

In the Effects Tab, there is a button, Edit Effects. If one presses that, then the Effects Control Panel is displayed for the Selected Clip/Still/Title. PrE automatically adds the Fixed Effects, Motion, Opacity, Volume (if there is Audio), etc.. Besides Motion is a "reveal triangle." If one clicks on that, then Position, Scale and Rotation will be revealed. One can adjust those, as required.

Note: when on does a Copy/Paste Attributes, ALL Effects that have been added will also be Copied and Pasted. The Fixed Effects ONLY transfer their settings. If one has added, say Highlight & Shadow to all Clips, and then does a Copy/Paste Attributes, then Highlight & Shadow will be Copied again. Just keep that in the back of your mind, and do the Copy & Paste Attributes, with ONLY the Fixed Effects, unless you do wish to Copy the added Effects too.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 5:47 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill, you're describing earlier versions of Premiere Elements.

In version 11, you edit effects by selecting the clip on the timeline and clicking the Applied Effects button on the right side of the interface.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 5:52 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

You are correct. Thank you for pointing that change out.

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 7:29 AM   in reply to Banghans

However, the finished movie has bars on all four sides of the picture and so far I have not found any settings to change this.

What Share/Publish settings are you using?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points