Skip navigation
CatherineMorgan
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS5 not responding

Jan 16, 2013 8:58 PM

I downloaded InDesign CS5 I can open the product, but when I create a new document, it doesn't end up opening and I have to force quit the program! How do I fix this? Please help so frustrating.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 17, 2013 4:51 AM   in reply to CatherineMorgan

You are not providing any system information nor other details. If it hangs on opening a docment, the specifics of the file could be the reason as well. Anything from missing fonts or images to color settings. anyway, we really cannot know at this point.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 1:02 PM   in reply to Mylenium

Moving this discussion to the InDesign forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 1:09 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

What do you mean "when I create a new document, it doesn't end up opening" and what is the OS? What do you see before you force quit?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 4:12 AM   in reply to CatherineMorgan

Please upload the report to pastebin.com and put a link here. DON'T post the report itself here.

What is the current status? Is indesign installed or not?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to CatherineMorgan

It looks like things are pretty badly messed up at the moment.

Since it doesn't want to uninstall again, we can skip taht step and go straight to the Cleaner tool: CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3

Run the tool, reboot, and reinstall ID. Search for the InDesign Recovery folder (I'm not sure the tool will remove it) and empty it. Then see Replace Your Preferences and follow the directions for manual replacement (again, I don't know if the cleaner tool will remove thses files) and finally, see Adobe Forums: InDesign crashes at startup for another list of files you should search for and delete if you find them. Since 10.7 these files are mostly hidden, so you'll need to activate searching for hidden files most likely. See Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 Lion

Once all of that is done, try ID again. If it still fails, let us know.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 3:29 AM   in reply to CatherineMorgan

OK, that's a hang (which means ID is still running, just not responding), not a crash, and they are harder to interpret. Please see Adobe Forums: InDesign CS5.5 Not Responding for directions on forcing the hang to crash so we can get that report, too.

I'm not sure it means anything because it's at the top of the hang report and they list the most recent calls at the bottom, but I see refernces to SING in your report, and that makes me suspicious that it may be the problem, so also see SING Removal

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points