Skip navigation
BobSomr
Currently Being Moderated

Export format for clips to be used in larger project.

Jan 16, 2013 10:06 PM

Tags: #export_format

Back in the PE2 days, I used to capture and trim a clip and "export movie"  which resulted in a "DV-AVI" file.  This is what I understood PE "liked" and the best format to use for import to a larger project (and it worked nicely every time).  Now, in PE11, I don't see that option.  This method is handy, not only for trimming stuff you don't want, but naming the clips to help with content id.  What option should I use that preserves quality and cooperates with PE best?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 17, 2013 5:06 AM   in reply to BobSomr

If you are working in standard definition video, use Publish & Share/Computer/AVI with the DV preset.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 5:24 AM   in reply to BobSomr

Can you give us information on your Source Footage, and the Project's Preset?

As Steve points out, DV-AVI is still the "gold standard" for SD material. If you do not see that in the Share/Publish Tab, make sure to scroll down - scroll bars do not stand out, but are on the right-hand side of the Panel.

With HD, then you might want to look over this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4556586#4556586

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

With HD, then you might want to look over this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4556586#4556586

Bill,

I posted the sequence I found in the PrE 11 interface and asked a couple questions in your link.  I'm not sure what to do with "Render at Maximum Depth" and "Asped".

As always, thanks again for teaching me these things.

Bill S

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to whsprague

Bill,

The interface should have used a different font...

"Asped" = Aspect (meaning Pixel Aspect Ratio), but it DOES look like "Asped." For HD material, I would go with a PAR = 1.0, or Square Pixels, to match the PAR of the HD Source Footage.

As for Maximum Bit Depth, that will Encode, as it states, but if one is not starting with 10-bit Source Material (RED, Alexis, etc.), should not improve things, and the file size will be larger still.

If you do not have, or need to use an Alpha Channel, then 24-bit will be the choice.

Hope that helps, and I will add this to that article, for future reference.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 9:50 AM   in reply to BobSomr

"Really upset you have to set that default when you install the software.  Now, I gotta change it every time I start."

If you're talking about project settings, Bob, you should not have to. The default project settings when you start a new project should be the settings you used for your last project. So, if you're always working in DV, it should always default to DV.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to BobSomr

Bob,

Glad to hear that the Pyro A/V Link unit is working fine in Win7.

Good luck, and nice to meet you.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 6:54 PM   in reply to BobSomr

BobSomr wrote:

I'm on now, and there is no scroll functionality in the "Publish+Share" panel.  Not even on the right of the panel which is ALL the way to the right already.  What I see is web DVD, Disc, Online, Computer, and Mobile Phone and Players.  Where's my DV-AVI or "AVI with DV preset"?

Incidentally, I noticed the "File > Export.." is greyed out for the old way of doing this.  Is that significant?

Click on "Computer".  Then you can scroll to "AVI".  Then there will be some DV presets.

Hope that helps.

Bill S

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 8:30 PM   in reply to BobSomr

So, click on the answer button so I can get the Adope good guy points!  (grin)

On edit:  Oops! It looks like you did!  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 9:22 PM   in reply to BobSomr

Glad that you found it!

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 9:24 PM   in reply to whsprague

Good going. Adobe DOES monitor both Correct, and Helpful answers, and then they use those to prod corporate to fund the Forums.

Same for the "Was this helpful?"

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to whsprague

Thanks, Bill!

You can also see information on the books here:

http://Muvipix.com/pe11.php

|
    Mark as:

More Like This