Skip navigation
bobsastro
Currently Being Moderated

Problem opening PDFs in Win XP

Jan 17, 2013 3:21 AM

I've received a number of PDF files from a colleague using a Mac (OS10).  When I copy them to my Win XP (SP3) PC, and try to open them with Adobe X or Reader 11, the file names are dimmed in the list, and Open results in an error message that the file is corrupt or not a PDF.  If I copy the files to a laptop running Win 7 (Home Prem), they appear normal, and can be opened by Adobe or Reader.  I don't believe this is related to Protected Mode in Adobe, as the same problem happened with Foxit Reader.  Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

Bob

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 17, 2013 1:07 PM   in reply to bobsastro

Hard to say. Can you post a sample some place?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to bobsastro

404 error .  Bad link.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 11:56 PM   in reply to bobsastro

I seemed to have trouble downloading, but think I got it. The file is named "_Arndt, W, 1965, The Dreaming of Kunukban, Oceania, Vol. 35(4), pp. 241-259.pdf". I got an error when trying to open as a PDF. So I took the next step and opened in notepad. A PDF should start with text like "%PDF-1.7" with the 1.7 denoting the version of PDF. The remainder of the file would be filled with various blocks that define the PDF (not going there as I do not even know the standard).

Your file started out as "<!DOCTYPE html><html lang="en" xml:lang="en" class="" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">" and was filled with html. It is obviously not a PDF file. Again, I assume I am looking at the correct file. If you change the extension to html and try to load it in a browser, it starts trying to load other stuff, leading me to immediately close it. I have no idea how your colleague created the files, but they are not PDF files and it looks like he simply tried to save an HTML page and name it as a PDF, thinking that would give a PDF.

Anyway, the file is not a PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 3:28 PM   in reply to Bill@VT

It tried to open it and it would not open for me. Are you sure it’s a PDF?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 7:39 AM   in reply to bobsastro

Open the file in a text editor and check the starting text. It should read %PDF-1.7 or such as I suggested. If it does, then the post got messed up. If it does not, then you are not looking a valid PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 10:32 AM   in reply to Bill@VT

It appears to be damaged. Opening in Text edit or in, TextWragler, or Bean

remove that copy and upload again

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to bobsastro

Try opening or downloading this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/55psbcdeytbabag/Test.pdf

I've never had a problem reading or using PDF's from PC's nor PC

Sure go ahead and send me directly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 9:04 PM   in reply to bobsastro

What you are reporting as the beginning of the file points to a definite error. PDF files always start with "%PDF", providing a quick check for an invalid PDF. Note I pointed to invalid since the existance of the proper start does not insure the rest is valid.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to bobsastro

I'm having the Same problem with XI Pro running on windows 8. I receive PDFs from the Secretary of State office all the time and about half of them will open. Half the time I get the error message the file is dammaged and cannot be repared. Everytime I can open them with no problem on my laptop running Adobe X Pro and windows 7. The problem is with XI. I've reinstalled it and that didn't help.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points