Skip navigation
drotar
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator cs6 error message of   Could not complete this operation. There are no user slices

Jan 17, 2013 11:33 AM

i am using a mac OS 10.8. was slicing a document and saved the slices. works great. now i am trying to save a totally different document in which i am not using any slices and i am getting an error message.

how do if fix this. it's a real pain in the ***.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 17, 2013 11:50 AM   in reply to drotar

If you do a view show slices, are there any slices? Do you have more than one artboard?

Try pasting all into a new document, and try to save.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 1:45 PM   in reply to drotar

I use Illustrator slices but they're very wierd. For example, if you draw a slice which you happen to be on a particular layer, then hide that layer, it sorta doesn't see the slices. Other times if I name the slices that name doesn't stick and I have to figure out which one to re-type.

The worst is that you can't really define a folder for them to save to (CS6). No matter what you want, AI's CS6 version of Save-For-Web always makes a new "images" folder.

Once I get an AI slice-ready document that actually works, I try to use it as a sort of tempate to cut down on the annoyance.

I have even made slices in a separate Photoshop document and pasted my AI stuff as a smart object there, which is some ways is faster than using AI. CS5 wasn't this nutty.

So good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 11:38 PM   in reply to jimhere

Might be a little bit late, but there was the same subject once and one workaround was given :

Try:

• Open Illustrator and start a new document.
    • Create a new slice (Shift+K) anywhere on the document.
    • File > Save for Web...
    • In the bottom right corner there is an option for “Export”. Change this to “All Slices”.
    • Save that out  so that Illustrator retains that option as default.

Worked for me

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 4:56 PM   in reply to drotar

I had same issue today.

Here was my solution, which does not seem obvious, but resolved.

When I experienced the error in a new document, I realized that I changed my settings to PNG vs JPEG in the PREVIOUSLY used document and did indeed change "ALL SLICES" to "ALL USER SLICES".

Since this document, when saving as a JPEG or PNG automatically defaulted in the background to the "ALL USER SLICES" it couldn't find them..... there were no slices, it was just ONE ART BOARD without any slices.

I opened up the PRIOR DOCUMENT. Saved again and changed "ALL USER SLICES" back to "ALL SLICES". Saved. Closed.

Then opened up my CURRENT document that I experienced the error and WHALLAH it worked.

Even though the document said "ALL SLICES" all along, in the background there was a brief ADOBE GLITCH remembering the previous documents settings. It happens. Resolved.  

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points