Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Multi-page pdf not linking properly

Jan 17, 2013 2:35 PM

Tags: #illustrator #acrobat #pdf #export #indesign #links #interactive_pdf

I have a 6-page interactive indd template that I have been using for months without any issues (well, not these at least), but recently it has been not linking multi page pdfs properly. The pdf that I use is always saved from illustrator cs6 and correlates page to page with the indesign file; page 1 in the pdf links with page 1 in the indd and so on... The issue I am having is that almost every other time I link the file up it behaves differently. Sometimes it will link one page of the pdf to all of the pages of the indd while showing that they are linked to different pages, other times it will not show up at all on the pages, but will show that it is linked in the links panel. Sometimes it will only link one of the pages up and leave the other 5 blank or it will link the pages up with some sort of transparency...

Now, I am not sure if this is a problem with Illustrator or Indesign because of another symptom: Sometimes when I save the file as a pdf it saves as if it is not a multi-page pdf with different content on every page, but rather a multi-page pdf with every page being a zoomed-out view of all of the artboards together but with only some of the content showing (only artboard 3 and 4, only artboard 6 and half of 1) when it is opened in acrobat. Also, sometimes the pdf when viewed in acrobat looks perfect, but when linked it only does a few of the pages in indesign.

Long story short, this doesn't make any sense...  I know this is hard to follow and I don't understand why or how it is happening because it seems that every time has a different issue.

I know that you'll probably have questions and I’ll do my best to answer them, but I'm afraid that uploading files for samples won't work because there appears to be nothing wrong with the files themselves... just the links and/or export.

Win7, CS6 , 12 gigs RAM, i5

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 18, 2013 1:07 PM   in reply to TomJohn

How did you import the PDF in ID? Script or manually? If manually, did you show import options to choose the pages?

Do you mean that all of the pages inthe PDF have the identical hat when viewed in Acrobat? That would be a problem with how you saved from Illustrator, and you can only import what's in the PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 1:30 PM   in reply to TomJohn

What happens when you save as .ai?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 1:37 PM   in reply to TomJohn

do you change the name of the linked PFD?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to TomJohn

I'm afraid I'm baffled, but I try to think about it more. My brain isn't running on all cylinders at the moment.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 8:18 AM   in reply to TomJohn

Layer visibility can be a problem if you resave a file and change its structure in some way. If the layering, including names isn't identical to what it was, ID will revert to the saved visibility. It doesn't sound, though, like this is the problem.

This is just weird enough that I wonder if it's a configuration issue. This may sound like a strange question, but do you use Suitcase? There was one version of Suitcase that messed with Photoshop files in some odd way that seemed improbable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 9:14 AM   in reply to TomJohn

I honestly don't know. I'm not entirely sure I have a complete grasp of the entire problem, but from what I think I understand the whole thing is quite out of the ordinary, but the workflow is a bit out of the ordinary, too.

I'd be curious to to know if using a new user account for a while has any impact.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points