Skip navigation
boatsport
Currently Being Moderated

Placing Grayscale images into InDesign CS6

Jan 17, 2013 2:11 PM

Tags: #indesign_question

I'm working on a book file that includes many black and white pencil illustrations. These images start in Photoshop CS6 (grayscale) and are placed in a InDesign CS6 document (CMYK). Since it's a CMYK document the gray tones are altered.

Are there any tricks to working around this?

The only other option I can think of, is pull the black and white pencil illustrations into a CMYK Photoshop document. But I'm afraid to do this, as I may be subject to the blue or purple tinting of all the images...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 17, 2013 2:16 PM   in reply to boatsport

Your gray values are transfered to the K plate in the working CMYK profile. Turn on Overprint Preview to see an accurate preview of how they will print.

If you want to see the same thing in Photoshop that you will get after placing in ID you can create a custom Color Settings file and set the Grayscale profile to the black channel of the CMYK working space.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jan 17, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to boatsport

After viewing the doc file after it's been exported to pdf, the images are all darker again.

The change is how the preview is managed–the actual output values don't change in PS, ID or Acrobat.

If you want the Acrobat preview to match your ID Overprint/Sep Preview, open the Acrobat Output Preview panel and set the Simulation profile to match your ID document's CMYK profile.

Message was edited by: Rob Day

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jan 17, 2013 3:16 PM   in reply to boatsport

I'm afraid that still won't help me with importing a grayscale image into a cmyk InDesign file without any shift in gray tones.

If you place a grayscale it is still a grayscale object, but Separation Preview shows its output values  on the Black plate—if you place a grayscale PSD filled with 50% gray into ID it will read as 0|0|0|50 in sep preview. It's because ID doesn't have a grayscale color space.

If you want to output the 50% gray value unchanged, choose Separations as the Output Color and print the process black plate. If you choose Composite Gray then the values will change because 0|0|0|50 CMYK doesn't necessarily convert back to 50% grayscale—depends on the profiles used.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points