Skip navigation
Noel Carboni 23,523 posts
Dec 23, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

ATI Catalyst 13.1 - Not Good with Photoshop CS6 13.0.1

Jan 18, 2013 6:50 AM

I installed Catalyst 13.1 last night.

On Windows 7 x64 and Photoshop CS6 13.0.1  I still see the GPU-based color-management issue noted in this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1093163?tstart=0

http://noel.prodigitalsoftware.com/ForumPosts/PhotoshopGreenProblem.jpg

Some workarounds: 

• Configure Photoshop to Basic GPU mode and wait for a Photoshop update to potentially fix it so Normal or Advanced mode can be used again.

• Uninstall Catalyst 13.1 and install 12.8 specifically (which works okay with Photoshop CS6).  After testing a bit further this is probably what I'm going to do.

--

There may be a problem with the reporting of the VRAM size to Photoshop.  I'm not sure what's up, but I have 2GB of VRAM on my ATI 7850, and 2GB was the full amount reported to Photoshop by Catalyst 12.8.  With Catalyst 13.1 in place, however, I see the following.  Worse yet, the number seems to vary.

MisreportedVRAM.png

--

Also, there seems to be a problem now with the implementation of the Windows power policy - specifically the power-down of the monitors on inactivity.  They do power-down when left idle, but then they power back up again in a few moments.

I have not found a workaround for this issue yet, save for punching the actual power buttons on the monitors.

--

I found no speed increase or other compelling reason to upgrade to 13.1 in any case.  I think that release must be all about gaming and nothing more.

My recommendation, at least until Adobe releases an update that works around the color black-out problem, is to avoid updating to Catalyst 13.1.

-Noel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2013 8:10 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

i read your posts on the ati forum, and the responses

don't suppose it's too late to jump ship to another less stressful manufacturer

<tongue in cheek -- hope you get it worked out>

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 2:08 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Catalyst 13.2 Beta seems to be better.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 4:39 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I can confirm that ATi's 13.2beta6 driver solves what I perceived (no pun intended) to be the most troubling issue under Win7x64:  "Green blackout".

Haven't tested the 3D features of CS6 Extended yet.  Will report back to this thread should I notice any differences.

Regards,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 7:12 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I just installed beta 5 a few days ago. Haven't had much a chance to test it.

I notice that on the Vision Control Center, the update check and auto download is missing.

Also, when I came back today from a meeting, the screen was as I left it, on a website. No screen saver, no shut down of the screen.

When did B6 show up?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 1:54 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

Any updates on this?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 5:46 PM   in reply to MicahBurke

The AMD Catalyst 13.3 beta 3 and later releases are looking much better.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 5:01 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

The 13.3 beta 3 and later releases are looking much better.

That threw me for a second—until I realized you're not referencing Photoshop 13.x beta releases.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 5:46 PM   in reply to station_two

OK, I'll add "AMD Catalyst" to the description...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 8:39 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I hope so. I am still getting lock ups. But It may be due to other issues now.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 9:06 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I'm still om 13.2. nort showing any problems so maybe I stay here.

I do notice that the update path is missing from their control panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 9:26 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Do you know if the driver has any relation to the remote FX? I found some drivers missing using the autoruns program you told me about. 

Once in awhile my video card does turn off, but its rare. Which is what makes it so hard to pin point. I was also having excess memory being used at startup over 3GB. But turning off the AFS driver seams to stop that.

I am coming to the conclusion that a virus or malware may be to blame. But I can not rule out video driver yet. Currently running MS driver. which maybe a mistake.

Seams like each time I think its fixed it popup up its ugly head. It can run fine for about 2-3 days.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points