Skip navigation
plotteaterre
Currently Being Moderated

Annoying behavior - Photoshop

Jan 18, 2013 8:52 AM

Hi,

When I click once on a tool to choose it, the tool's options (ex. the 3 options of the lasso) stay displayed so that I have to re-click (anywhere) before I can use it. This by opposition to the normal behavior of PS that is when you click on a tool it is choosen and you can use it right away. I must have change a preference but I can't find wich.

Photoshop CS3 extended (10.0) on Mac

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 18, 2013 8:56 AM   in reply to plotteaterre

There's no preference I know of that causes that behavior.

It's possible the Photoshop preferences in general have become corrupted, though I'll be darned if I can imagine how that should cause this kind of UI problem.  A kind of catch-all suggestion is to reset preferences to defaults by pressing and holding Control - Shift - Alt (or Command - Shift - Option) immediately upon cold-starting Photoshop.  But that comes with some downsides - you have to re-setup all your preferences.

Did you notice this change coincident with system updates, installation of a new driver, etc.?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 18, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to plotteaterre

maybe the keyboard.

control key is sticky?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to plotteaterre

if smashing the keyboard doesent work, go for the preferences...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 18, 2013 10:25 AM   in reply to plotteaterre

Do you see the same behavior if you click-down then hold on a tool icon, then slide over and let up the mouse button on the tool of your choice?

If not, that could be a workaround.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 10:55 AM   in reply to plotteaterre

plotteaterre, can't you just start using the tool as if the flyout had not appeared, whereupon the flyout will vanish?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 18, 2013 8:19 PM   in reply to plotteaterre

For me, if I click and hold the left mouse button, the alternate tool choices appear.  If I drag over to one of them, then let up the mouse button, that tool is selected and the alternate choices disappear immediately.

Conroy, is what plotteaterre describes typical Mac behavior, or does your system behave as I describe here?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 4:44 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

For me, if I click and hold the left mouse button, the alternate tool choices appear.  If I drag over to one of them, then let up the mouse button, that tool is selected and the alternate choices disappear immediately.

Conroy, is what plotteaterre describes typical Mac behavior, or does your system behave as I describe here?

-Noel

Both behaviours happen on my Mac.

Your holding down, dragging over then releasing does work correctly in Ps CS5.1 and CS6 on my Mac.

However, a quick click on a Ps (CS5.1 and CS6) toolbar button, to simply select the tool, causes the flyout to appear when it shouldn't. Very infrequentlyy, a flyout correctly doesn't appear.

For about half the flyouts, the flyout can be ignored, though, and it disappears as soon as I start using the tool. Others do require the extra initial click before the tool becomes operational, as described by plotteaterre (and others, if i recall correctly).

Other Adobe apps that I use or have trialled do not misbehave in that way. A quick click always correctly produces no flyout in them.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 19, 2013 9:40 AM   in reply to conroy

Interesting.  Thanks for detailing that.

Under no circumstances do I seem to be able to cause the flyout to occur on a quick click with the left mouse button.  Click and hold with the left button or a quick click with the right mouse button aways results in a flyout.

Intermittency (or worse, as described by plotteaterre) would surely irritate me.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 11:34 AM   in reply to plotteaterre

You might like to try holding down the the Shift key and then repeatedly clicking the Keyboard Shortcut key for the tool in question ("B" for a Brush for example) to cycle through the different tools in the group.

I find this far quicker than selecting from the tool pop-outs and you very quickly learn how many clicks you need to get from one particular tool to the one which you want to use.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points