Skip navigation
Hunter101T
Currently Being Moderated

How to make a envelop distort like in this image

Jan 18, 2013 12:29 PM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #font #adobe #effects #cs6 #objects

Hey guys I wanted to know how can i make a envelop distort like this image in adobe illustrator CS6. Im running it on Windows 7. Capture.PNG

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 18, 2013 1:04 PM   in reply to Hunter101T

Hunter,

how can i make a envelop distort like this

There is no way to do it with Envelope Distort: if you look closely at the letters and the spaces, you can see that the spaces are constant width whereas the letters are broader at the bottom (except for the T) but all path segments are straight.

I am afraid you will have to roll up your sleeves.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 1:07 PM   in reply to Hunter101T

You can use Arc Warp and just dial in the bend you want, or you can use a manual distortion mesh. For something this simple I'd just use 1 horiz and 1 vert mesh row. That'll leave you with just for points to adjust. I like to select 2 points at a time and rotate them with the rotate tool. That way the sides stay perfectly straight. Then just move the mesh direction handles to curve the top and bottom. In some cases I distort 2 or more mesh direction points by using the Shear tool. This keeps the direction lines perfectly parallel.

I am assuming you're talking about the overall distortion, not the individual letter shapes. These would need to be edited with the pen tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 4:35 PM   in reply to Hunter101T

I just did this in a couple of minutes using Envelope Distort > Warp (Arc) and a value of –23°.

Picture 2.png

A wee bit of messing around afterwards with some added background and a clipping mask.

This distorts the letters slightly as you would expect, same as in your original example.

(Jacob: I think you’re wrong about the spaces being constant.

It’s just that the convergence is so slight in a narrow space that you don’t notice it.

Steve.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 2:36 AM   in reply to Hunter101T

I still believe the originator of the artwork at least tried to keep to the straight and narrow. The crucial question is whether Hunter wishes to (too).

When zooming in as far as possible on the image (so it is 190 mm wide on screen), as far as I can see, the spaces are still constant width and the lettershapes at top and bottom are still straight, especially evident for the TE at the end, so I believe any deviation would be an inaccuracy. The rounding of the basically horizontal segments as in Envelope (or Art Brush) Distort should be clearly visible.

I believe Hunter may be able to make sure by zooming in on the actual artwork, and maybe measuring distances between key Anchor Points, and/or dragging with the Line Tool between them, in the latter case the top of the TE would show the greatest deviance from straightness.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points