Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Quality issues with slideshows

Jan 18, 2013 3:25 PM

Hi,

I'm a long term user of PE v9 (basic editing & burning of home vids & slideshows), but I've just bought a new computer & upgraded to Photoshop & PE v11.

The first slideshow I created (created in Photoshop & exported to PE for adding music, titles etc) had a lot of issues:

• Some of the photos were rotated 90 degrees & stretched (which I noticed & cut out prior to burning), but more importantly,

• The end product once burned to DVD is of terrible quality.

I seem to recall that when I first set up PE 9 I set a project quality standard that all future projects would follow unless I changed it.  I've looked everywhere in PE 11 & I can't find where this is set.  I'm not overly technical and I'm out of ideas re: where to look to fix these quality issues.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Cozzie.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 18, 2013 8:11 PM   in reply to CozzieA

There are actually several ways to make slideshows in Premiere Elements, Cozzie. Which method are you using?

Have you ensured that all of your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size?

How are you judging the quality? Are you watching it on a TV?

There are a number of issues with judging DVD quality on a computer monitor. For one thing, your computer monitor is many times the resolution of your 720x480 DVD. In fact, your original photos are also. So your video is going to look awful at full screen on your computer. You're also likely see interlacing (horizontal lines) on a computer monitor that you will not see on a TV. Try viewing your DVD on the VLC Media Player, which does a much better job and interpreting interlacing on a computer than Windows Media Player.

That said, what exactly, beyond resolution and interlacing, are your quality issues?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 5:52 AM   in reply to CozzieA

You need to resize your photos no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size -- and you should be working in DV rather than AVCHD, since you are producing video for DVD (which is standard definition).

You still have not been very specific on what you mean by "quality" issues (other than resolution).

Can you please post to this forum a 640x480 side-by-side comparison of a screen capture from your old version's DVD and a screen capture from the new version so we can see exactly what the issues are?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 11:44 AM   in reply to CozzieA

As Steve points out, using Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements to do the Scaling (and Rotation for portrait Images), will yield better Images, than doing that in PrE. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4133162#4133162

For the Rotation, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4160580#4160580

Good luck, and hope those articles help,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 6:05 PM   in reply to CozzieA

Cozzie,

Your test took the wind out of my sails, as I was about to launch into a discussion of laptop monitor resolutions, but THEN, you pointed out that you tested with burned DVD-Videos, played on the same TV.  Thank you for pointing that out, or I'd have wasted a bunch of your time.

Now, I am wondering what might have changed with PrE 11. I know that many things did, but would not have thought that any would have affected straight SlideShows.

I think that I need to compare (it would be PrE 4.0 vs PrE 11, and also PrPro) in my case. I have PrE 11, but have been waiting on a custom 64-bit laptop to ship, before installing it. It's time to install the 32-bit version of PrE 11, and test the same type of Project. I have time next week, before one little trip to San Francisco, and hope to get something in a couple of days.

Please do me a favor, and let me know the full details of your SlideShow, especially the Images used, the Project's Preset (might have an issue with my older PrE 4.0?), and please pay special attention to the specs. of the "rotated" file. I'd do a short version, as close as I can, and compare my results. Maybe something major HAS changed in PrE 11, but as Steve tested it completely, prior to writing his book on it, I would have thought that he would have mentioned such a change.

Also, I do not have PSElements, so will only be creating a SlideShow in PrE, and PrPro (same Assets), as a test.

Let me know a bit more, and then give me a few days.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 5:12 AM   in reply to CozzieA

I still don't see the side-by-side comparison screen caputres I asked for last week. Without those, we're just dealing with subjective discussions of "quality."

Can you please post to this forum a 640x480 side-by-side comparison of a screen capture from your old version's DVD and a screen capture from the new version so we can see exactly what the issues are?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 7:19 AM   in reply to CozzieA

Do you see any difference in quality of output if you use a DV-PAL project and import these photos instead of the AVCHD-PAL project? Just to rule out the face that the project preset does not match the exported output, which is a DVD in your case.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 6:12 AM   in reply to CozzieA

Thanks for the screen caps, Cozzie.

I'm not seeing much of a difference. Maybe a bit more vibrance in the version 7 screen cap. I don't know if I see enough of a difference to call it "terrible quality."

Are both versions using exactly the same source photos? Are both using exactly the same project settings?

Have you tried right-clicking on your photos on the timeline and selecting Field Order/Flicker Removal?

Beyond that, I'm just not sure if there's much room for improvement.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 12:22 AM   in reply to CozzieA

Steve, Cozzie,

I have EXACTLY the same problem as Cozzie!!!   Very Very frustrating.  My slideshow photos (I just posted a discussion a few moments ago) are grainy.   I burned my slideshow onto a DVD from PE11 (The slideshow appears at the end of my movie in PE 11) and It's as if I'm watching a movie from a very old VHS tape. 

My slideshow is VHS quality (even worse).  For instance, people's eyeballs are so grainy, you can't even make out the eyeballs.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 12:24 AM   in reply to Apple Miga

Also, PE 11 automatically rotated some of my pictures in my slideshow as well !!!!!!!  and stretched them out.

Its passed midnight here and I've been trying to figure out what I did wrong, but I'm beginning to think this is a PE11 issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 11:34 PM   in reply to CozzieA

Hi Cozzie,

Thanks for your input.  I will certainly give that a try.....the movie I have in my project has already been edited (my slideshow is at the end of movie)....so when I select new project and change the settings, does that mean I have to re-edit my movie (or is there some way I can just copy and paste my edited movie to the new project?.....

I just looked at my project settings, hoping to be able to make changes from there:

Editing mode = DV NTSC  [It's greyed out and I can't change this]

Frame size = 720 x 480  [Not greyed out]

Pixel Aspect Ratio = D1/DV NTSC widescreen 16:9  [Greyed out]

....but it looks like I can't make  changes to my project settings?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to CozzieA

Cozzie,

I have been following this thread with interest.  I have cut and pasted your recipe into a notes file for a future project.  Thank you for posting your solution.

A few days ago I tried making a short slide show with huge RAW images from a Sony camera.  The preview and DVD were disappointing with jagged lines.  I reworked it with resized .jpg copies and it remained disappointing.

I started over with new project presets with the .jpg files and results improved.  Then, with the new presets, I added back the big RAW files and results were still good.  In my case it seemed to be important to use a "p" setting instead of an "i" setting.  What worked for me so far is the the "NTSC AVCHD 1080p60 square frame" setting that you have abandon!

Resizing does not seem to affect results on my computer.  Perhaps if I had lots more photos it would.

The answer seems to be somewhere in the mystory world of presets and codecs. 

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 10:20 PM   in reply to CozzieA

Hi Cozzie,

I followed your instructions on the project settings using some sample footage and what a difference.  My videos are much better quality and my picture slideshow is very clear.  They were no longer VHS quality.  I was so close to throwing PE11 into my garbage can, now i'm giving it a second chance (thanks to your tip).

Some of my slideshow pics were rotated.  I couldnt' figure out why and I know you are having the same problem.  Very frustrating.

I'm asking some members of the forum to see if it's possible to revise my project settings in an existing project.....i'm not keeping my fingers crossed....and I dread that I might just have to start from scratch by starting a "new project" with the "proper" project settings  to re-edit my hour long video, which I've already spent alot of time on to add text, effects, and menu markers.

Thanks again.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 10:24 PM   in reply to whsprague

I just started a new thread about this sorry ... I too have the blurry image problem ... or mine look scrunchy  (badly oversharpened)  .. I tried Cozzie's change of project settings to PAL/DV and unfortuately is is was worse in that images were really bad .. the people in them were unrecognisable ..

I have to say this is incredibly frustrating now ... why is it so hard to get relaly nice crisp still images ..

Karen

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 5:19 AM   in reply to karowich

Have you followed the suggestions? Are you images no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size?

What project settings is your project using (listed under Edit/Project Settings/General)?

How are you judging the final results? Are you looking at a DVD on a TV or are you playing back a file on your computer? If the latter, what media player are you using and at what size are looking at it?

Are you comparing them to 640x480 versions of your photos?

As we keep saying, Premiere Elements is a video editing program that produces video resolution resolution -- on VIDEO!

If you're looking for a program that creates a high-resolution slideshow for your computer, you're using the wrong program. You should be using a program like ProShow Gold.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 7:11 AM   in reply to karowich

Karen,

From information gathered from another of your posts, in Reply # 6, above, I furnished two links to Tips & Tricks articles. One for Scaling Still Images, prior to Import, and the other on Rotation of Images, outside of PrE. I think that both will be useful to solving your problems. Take a look at the linked articles, and please report back.

Also from that other post, do not Scale your Still Images to less than the dimensions of the Project's Frame Size, and then let PrE Scale them up. A very little down Scaling can usually go unnoticed, but any up Scaling will stand out. That is why the recommendation is to generally Scale to 1000 x 750 for an SD (Standard Definition) Project, and 2000 x 1500 for an HD Project. I take it one step further, and will Scale to exactly my Frame Size. If I need to Pan on a Zoomed out Image, I calculate the exact number of pixels that I will need, and then Scale exactly to those dimensions in Photoshop. Those above dimensions are the "rule of thumb" and work well most of the time. It also allows one to dial in one percentage of Scale, and then process entire folders to those dimensions, rather than my way of handling each Image individually, saving a lot of time.

Good luck, and hope that those linked articles are helpful.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Hi Steve

Yes I have followed all suggestions of size and none have produced a nice image..

Settings : General Editing mode HD1080i , timebase 25fps

Video 1920 horizontal x 1080 vertical, PAR square, Fields upper front field and display formats 25fps ...

I am looking at the results on my computer and I exported a facebook version .. both were of similar quality, facebook possible slightly worse.

No I am not comparing them to a 640 x 480 version ? Not sure I understand why I would do that .. I am just comparing them to as shot and how I reduce them to view on my computer and I give to clients

I realise premiere is a video programme, but its not unreasonable to expect quality in stills .. Imovies doesn't seem to have this issue

I don't want a slideshow ... I want a video with stills mixed in ..

thanks

karen

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 12:51 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hi Hunt

Thanks for the links .. I have downloaded the manual too so hopefully I can resolve this ...

It doesn't really mention at what dpi to save the stills to .... so to view on a computer screen I usually save to 72dpi or max 96 dpi .. and this is what I have done .. maybe this is wrong ..

thanks

karen

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 2:25 PM   in reply to karowich

Karen,

In Video, DPI and PPI are meaningless. They relate to printing and to display on a computer, say in a Web page. That part of the normal Still Resolution is disregarded completely.

That is why, when one opens a PrE Menu in Photoshop, it shows 72 PPI, which was the old standard for Image display on a computer, but it could well have been almost anything, because when used in Video, it doesn't even register.

When I am Scaling for Video, my Action does not even address the DPI/PPI, and only the horizontal pixels and vertical pixels. I leave the Resolution at that produced by my camera. If I am creating a new Still (say a Title) in PS, I use the NTSC Preset for the necessary dimensions, and the PPI shows as 72 - but just for display, outside of the Video.

Also, in Photoshop, I will experiment between Bicubic Smoother (usually my end choice), and Bicubic Sharper (some images do look better with this Interpolation), and have not yet explored PS CS 6's new Bicubic Auto. Got some testing to do on the next big SlideShow.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thank you for explaining that .....

Appears I have had a win of sorts ... I process all my stills in Adobe lightroom and for this project I exported as jpegs limiting the longest side as the nikon D800 creates files with xlose to 8000 pixels on the longest side .. so this time I exported as PSD files and did the resizing in photoshop to 1920 on the longest side as that is the video longest side ... and the results are clearer .. not perfect, but maybe I am being too picky ... I just see other videos from photographers and their stills are sharp ..

Karen

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 3:34 PM   in reply to karowich

Great news!

I have not used Lightroom, since it was in beta, many years ago. I know that it has changed dramatically since, but do not know which Interpolation algorithms it has available. I also do not know if it has the same (or similar) form of automation (through Actions, or Scripts), that PS has.

For the output format, I also like PSD, especially as I am normally doing other processing in PS. I am NOT a fan of JPEG, and only use it, when the client insists. I want to keep things, as close to the source, as I can, so I am normally starting with my NEF Camera RAW, processing in PS, and then outputting (Save_As) to whatever formats I need - usually PSD's.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points