Skip navigation
Soshman
Currently Being Moderated

Mpeg-2 vs. .mp4 for a DVD, .mp4 is much clearer

Jan 18, 2013 5:51 PM

When exporting a .mp4 to a mpeg-2 for encore to make a DVD i notice the file

becomes 4 times as big and about 1/5 as clear....it really degrades.

I do remmember reading that Encore can take .mp4 right into the timeline. Is this true?

Can i just drag the high quality .mp4 right into encores timeline for the making of the DVD?

It has audio attached in the file as well. Will i have to bring them in separate ?

Thank You!

Soshman

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 18, 2013 5:59 PM   in reply to Soshman

Yes, you can put an mp4 on the Encore timeline, but it will have to transcode it to DVD resolution.

The datarate has a lot to do with the filesize. And it will not look as good because the resolution is less, right?

How long is the video?

What were your settings for exporting the mp4 to mpeg? Use the Premiere/AME MPEG2-DVD preset. You will get an m2v and a wav. You bring both onto an Encore timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 11:02 AM   in reply to Soshman

The final DVD will have to be MPEG2.  It's the only format allowed on DVD, so you might as well create that out of PP instead.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 2:23 PM   in reply to Soshman

You cannot make a DVD as good as the original.  You'll need to make a Blu-ray for that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 8:05 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

If you are making some type of training video, you may wish to avoid DVD video altogether. NTSC video does not lend itself to recreating the detail of a computer screen. I made a training video on the PC using Camtasia a few years back, and the DVD looked like mud! Very hard to read any of the fine computer screen text. I later re-did the training, but instead of DVD I used the tools in Camtasia (Menumaker) to create a self-contained program. The media is saved as .wmv files and the quality is the SAME as what I saw on the computer when doing the training. Best of all, a 3.5-hour project is only 650mb and customers can download the project - I don't even need to bother with making discs and it just looks fantastic.

Note that .wmv is  not Mac-friendly, but since my training was PC specific, that is what my viewers were using for playback.

Probably too late since you already created your content, but I found that by creating the content at the same frame size as delivery, that quality was maintained because it was not scaled down. I set the Camtasia record size to 1024x768 and delivered the same. Any time you take full HD and scale to NTSC there will be a huge quality hit. If in the future you want to try what I did and deliver a "multimedia" program rather than DVD video, keep in mind that most people do not have a full 1920x1080 computer monitor at their desk, so this delivery size is overkill.

But it is all dependent on the subject matter - I don't know if you are capturing game play or doing training or what

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points