Skip navigation
JohnnyBeGood113
Currently Being Moderated

Ho to match this HD export settings in CS6?

Jan 19, 2013 1:13 AM

Hi,

I was wondering how can my firiend on his CS6 match my Video Pad setting:

http://i.imgur.com/3HcdtcG.jpg

Closes what he found was this:

http://i.imgur.com/7QNwpKK.jpg

TIA

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to JohnnyBeGood113

First let me say that I am not at all sure why you would use those settings.  Why use a medium quality? And why use MP3 instead of AAC (the default in Premiere Pro - and the only choice for this particular video codec).

Also, you didn't show us the data rate or tell us the reason for the export.

Just for the purpose of trying to answer the question, I will assume it is an export for the purpose of uploading to YouTube. If it is for editing later, you should totally reconsider your choice of codec. If it is for Vimeo, there is a preset for that, but basically it uses 5Mb/s instead of YouTube's 8Mb/s recommendation. If it is for your own web site, you can vary the data rate as required.

This is the image for a YouTube export. Note that I have not changed any parameters. It is the exact preset, unchanged. Next to it is the image for the audio.

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 10:23 AM   in reply to JohnnyBeGood113

Premiere Pro doesn't offer any type of CQ mode.  If you want that, you'll have to export out an Intermediate file and transcode using another application.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 11:07 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Uh, Jim, what is a CQ mode?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 12:31 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

It stands for either Constant Quality or Constant Quantizer.  It's a way to keep the quality (or quantization) of the encoded frame at a constant, without regard to bitrate, whereas CBR and VBR will reduce the quality in an attempt to prioritize the bitrate.  CQ modes are found in outside encoders like HCEncoder for MPEG2 and x264 encoders for H.264.  The Rate Factor you see in the screenshot defines the Constant Quality.  23 is actually pretty damn good.  0 would be lossless, with the quality going down as the number goes up.  53 is the highest setting and the lowest quality.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 6:56 PM   in reply to JohnnyBeGood113

AVI is just a container.  It can hold lots of different kinds of video.  The kind you're trying to create is actually fairly rare.  H.264 videos will most often have the .mp4 extension.

Probably the safest bet for compatibility is MPEG2.  Pretty much every player on every computer can play those files.  Exports will have the .mpg extension.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 7:41 PM   in reply to JohnnyBeGood113

The reason I asked about medium quality is that in your picture it says that 1.0 is the highest quality and that 51 is the lowest. You chose 23. That is about as middle as you can get without being exactly halfway. On a scale of 1 to 5.1 I used 4 since it is the YouTube default.

Now that we know that the export is for display on a computer, I would suggest H.264 should be fine if you do not choose too high a data rate. Almost everyone nowadays can watch YouTube videos full screen. However, you should know your network throughput and the computers on the network before deciding on a data rate.  I am assuming that if the people you are concerned about can see the videos from VideoPad when the codec is H.264, that they should be able to see the H.264 videos exported from Premiere Pro. If you want to keep your video file sizes down, you might want to export at 720p instead of 1080p. How big are the monitors your viewers are using?

By the way, if you want to know the data rate of the VideoPd files, just download a free copy of MediaInfo (be careful when you install to uncheck all of the permissions for advertising). It should be easy to match the data rate of the export from Premiere Pro once you know what you find acceptable.

It might be a simple matter of renaming the files with the .avi extension after exporting them, by the way. You didn't explain why the users could not see the videos. Or, rather, what the symptoms were. Changing the file name could do the trick.

Just for fun, I set up a video and cut it off at 2:28.  Now, different videos take different amounts of data to look good. If you shoot a talking head with a static background your file can be smaller than if you shoot the same person with a motion background behind them. Remember, if it doesn't move it does not take a lot of data to keep it on the screen. Having said that, I just grabbed some family videos off of my Smartphone and exported it using the 1080p YouTube settings, which I find to be acceptable on a PC screen, but a bit weak on a 42" HDTV and not acceptable on a late model 60" HDTV. The same preset I showed you up above.

The file turned out to be only 146M and looks fine to me, on my 1080p monitors.

Please let us know if these settings work out for your friend.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 11:49 PM   in reply to JohnnyBeGood113

Very close. However, you are using what looks to be an average bit rate of 10.5Mbps as shown above but the Premiere Pro image shows you targeting for somewhere between 32Mbps and 40Mbps.

That is unnecessarily large for just playing back on a monitor. With a data rate that high, you could cause problems with some computers ability to play it back.  It might be more appropriate to aim for 8 with a max of 10.

I usually check the two boxes "Render at Maximum Depth" and "Use Maximum Render Quality".

I exported a clip with a duration of 2:29 using 8 to 10 and checking the boxes. I kept the audio at 192 but I would usually use 320. In any case, here is a partial output from MediaInfo. By the way, you don't have to upload images to a site and then link them on these forums. You can just click on the icon of a camera at the top of your post and provide the location on your hard drive. It will upload it for you.

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points