Skip navigation
sjt54screen
Currently Being Moderated

Trun off Color management when printing

Jan 19, 2013 8:07 AM

Tags: #printing #color_management #11 #color_profiles

I've recently purchased some Fotospeed printing paper and want to get a custom profile for this.  The instructions sent to me by the company only covers Elements 1 - 9.  These tell me to select Print then, under Color Management set Color Handling to No Color Management.  However, this option on longer is available in Elements 11.  I've also checked your website for Elements 10 and it would appear that this option was still available in that version.  How can I get around this in Elements 11?

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,805 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jan 19, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to sjt54screen

Launch the PSE11 Editor in Quick, Guided or Expert mode and click the menu:

Edit >> Color Settings

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to sjt54screen

I would discuss this with them, unless you can tell us more about the process they recommended and just what you need to do with it totally disabled. We might be able to help with a workaround, but we need more info about where you're going with this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 9:34 AM   in reply to sjt54screen

In the print dialog of PSE11, click the 'more' option (3rd button from the left in the bottom).

Click the 3rd option in the top left : color management.

Choose either the printer or PSE to manage colors.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 12:03 PM   in reply to MichelBParis

The OP has instructions which call for turning color management off in the PSE print window and that is removed from PSE 11. It's there in earlier versions.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,805 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jan 19, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

It's still there in PSE11.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 12:38 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Exactly.

I have just checked that the option is present when you print from the editor... And it is missing when you print from the organizer.

ImprDialogue-1.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 3:58 PM   in reply to 99jon

It's not there in the Mac version, though. I presume this is because there's really no disabling color management for printing on a mac these days, since colorsync steps in when nothing else takes control (although it may just be a bug--not sure about that), so if sjt54screen is using OS X, I'd still suggest contacting Fotospeed about it.

Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 6.57.00 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,805 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jan 19, 2013 4:27 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

That seems a bit weird Barbara as Shift+Cmd+K works for CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 6:50 PM   in reply to 99jon

Yes, that works in PSE, too, but that's not what the OP is talking about--he or she is talking the settings in the print window's color management options, not in the editor itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 6:50 PM   in reply to sjt54screen

This is the workaround for photoshop, since that option was removed in cs5/cs6 as well.

Haven't tested it photoshop elements 11, but maybe it will work.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/no-color-management-option-missing .html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 9:08 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

Thanks, R_Kelly. I thought it was gone from windows, too, but I'm so far behind on windows updates I didn't want to turn on windows 7 to check.

MichelB, I think that if you look at that menu, you'll see that while there's a choice between letting PSE or your printer manage colors, aren't those the only two choices now?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 4:21 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Barbara B. wrote:

MichelB, I think that if you look at that menu, you'll see that while there's a choice between letting PSE or your printer manage colors, aren't those the only two choices now?

For me, the menu in the first line has only those two choices, which seems normal.

If you choose 'PSE manages color', the menu under that line shows all profiles available in Windows. Of course if you choose 'printer manages color', it's up to you to dig into the printer properties to specify the correct profile to use.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

Right, but the OP is looking for this, which is in PSE 10 and back. Hopefully R_Kelly's suggestion should work:

Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 11.12.40 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,805 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jan 20, 2013 8:48 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Hi Barbara. Apparently this setting was withdrawn in 2010. Of course most people will never use it. For those who need to make their own targets e.g. custom profiles like sjt54screen

for combinations of printer, paper and ink they should use the app mentioned in R Kellys link, with a tiff file. Further information can be found on John Nack’s blog.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2010/12/a-no-color-management-print-utili ty-for-photoshop.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Sorry, Barbara.

I could not imagine why one would want to turn off any color management and rely only on a paper profile  ?

Here are the instructions to get a custom profile :

http://www.fotospeed.com/pdf/Download/Profiling%20Pack/Epson-CanonandH PElements1-9.pdf

My guess is that if PSE11 is set to 'printer manages color' and you have followed the instructions relative to your specific printer, the result will be equivalent to 'no color management in PSE'.

Really, it's up to Fotospeed to update their custom profiling process instructions.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points