Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Working with .mpg files

Jan 19, 2013 10:30 AM

I have about 10 files (.mpg converted from VHS to Digital). Each file is ~4 to 6GB in size. I'd like to pull them into Premiere Elements 8.0, edit and create menus. When I started I tested one project to burn I noticed that roughly 2 hrs of video will consume the entire BD disk (25GB).  Could this be an issue with the project settings and/or the output settings?

I'm using  HDV 720p, frame size 1280 x 720, 48khz for project settings.

Using H.264 440x1080i NSC Dobly for the preset to burn to BD.

From reading some threads, it may have been better to have converted these VHS's to avi vs mpg.  Any advice at this point?   As always, feedback is greatly appreciated. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to boxan_21

You vhs files are probably SD (standard definition) 720x480.

Putting then in a HD project (720P) and exporting yet to different HD resolution will not work well.

You can burn SD to a BD but you will have to leave it SD.

Uprezzing SD to HD without the proper tools will not look good in Elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 2:57 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

As Ann says, we need to know more about those fils. MPEGs can be practically anything!

Who converted this VHS video to MPEG? If you did it yourself, you're going to have problems, since you likely used a capture card or USB-connected device, which will not produce files that will give you a good quality edited video. Particularly if these are standard definition MPEGs, blowing them out to a BluRay disc is going to make them look truly awful.

Open one of MPEGS in a program like G Spot or Media Info and list its resolution, frame rate and, above all, its codec.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 10:13 AM   in reply to boxan_21

>capture was done via Dazzle

I have not read much that was good about Dazzle

The model 55 at http://www.grassvalley.com/products/converters will create the DV AVI you need for editing... as long as your computer has a Firewire port

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 12:38 PM   in reply to John T Smith

I agree. Dazzle is one of those USB-based devices that's designed to work pretty much exclusively with the software that comes with it.

For capturing analog video, your best best is a FireWire based DV bridge, as we recommend in this artcle:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points