Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Pull a Copied Path out of a Clipping Mask?

Jan 19, 2013 12:36 PM

Tags: #illustrator #help #paste #duplicate #path #copy #cs6 #clipping #copy_paste #clipping_mask #drag_path

Hello:                                                                                                                Level: Newbie  OS: Win7 64bit  Ai: Cs6

I'm following a tut at: 

http://www.cutelittlefactory.com/tutorials/create-an-awesome-space-roc ket-avatar-in-illustrator/

down under step #4 it says to Copy (& Paste) the circle that's inside a Clipping Mask and to the drag it out of the mask in order to duplicate it twice.

but, I have no idea how to tell rather I've pulled it out of the mask or even, actually, how to go about pulling it out of the mask

thus far I've Copied and Pasted in In Front ... does copying and pasting it in front bring it outta the mask?

do i need to create a new layer after I've Copied it and then Paste it on the new layer?

your time is appreciated. I'm off to continue my search for an answer

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to Kar209

Cmd+X then (with nothing selected) Cmd+F and it will paste in front of the masked stuff.

No need to make a new layer.

(If you are on Windows read Ctrl for Cmd in the above.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 7:15 PM   in reply to Kar209

there are different ways to do it,

select the clipped red tip with the black arrow, Ctrl+C to copy it, Ctrl+F to paste in front, then go to Object->Clipping Mask->Release, at this point you have the red piece and the circle (the mask), delete the red piece and you're left with the circle you need.

or another way, starting with nothing selected, grab the Group Selection Tool (white arrow with the plus sign), and click on the Mask (the no fill no stroke Circle), Ctrl+C to copy, then deselect everything and Ctrl+F to paste a copy in front, stroke and or fill it, continue with your tutorial

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 3:38 AM   in reply to Kar209

Kara,

Refraining from other comments on the tutorial, there is no need to delete anything.

You may simply:

Create the circle and offset it both ways (all will be visible), then click the original circle and the underlying shape and Object>Clipping Mask Make. You may also start with either of the circles to be rivetted and offset twice by the same amount.

Or, if you must, starting the same way as the tutorial (when everything is deselected):

1) Direct Select the Clipping Path and Object>Path>Offset Path either way;

2) Ctrl/Cmd+X+F to bring the first offset path above the Clipping Mask (you may give it a stroke if you wish;

3) Object>Path>Offset Path the other way (by the double amount with the opposite offset).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 3:36 PM   in reply to Kar209

You are welcome, Kara.

I shall look forward to our hearing your findings.

Things are just beginning to look brighter here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4991735#4991735

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 1:54 AM   in reply to Kar209

You are welcome, Kara, and thank you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)