Skip navigation
RepulseMonkey
Currently Being Moderated

Interactive pdf or App... do I need to subscribe to Creative Cloud?

Jan 19, 2013 12:29 PM

I want to upgrade from CS5.5 to be able to build 'apps' – that is to say, more interactive versions of brochures etc for clients.  These customers will want to distribute these 'apps' from their own websites or via e-mail for free to their customer base.  Do I have to register as a developer and apple developer AND subscribe to Creative Cloud to be able to do this?

Any pointers would be useful.  Thanks.  CS6 looks great!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2013 1:14 PM   in reply to RepulseMonkey

Creative Cloud includes unlimited DPS single edition apps which MUST be distributed through the iTunes app store. Even with an enterprise level account the type of distribution you're describing would be prohibited.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 2:01 PM   in reply to RepulseMonkey

Yes, an interactive PDF can be distributed for free, but it's highly dependent on the device and software used to view it. That is not the case with an app that can be far more interactive.

Please do some reading on Digital Publishing Suite to learn more and post any specific questions in the DPS forum, not here.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to RepulseMonkey

No, an App is an actual application program for the particular platform, not simply a PDF file. If you export PDF from InDesign, you are free to distribute same in any way you wish. However, it won't have an icon to invoke it from the top level of an iOS or Android device (and there are no links like you have in MacOS or Windows that would invoke Adobe Reader to open the PDF from wherever in the bowels of the file system the PDF file is located!

- Dov

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points