Skip navigation
miss_la14
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign 6 compatibility with InDesign 4

Jan 19, 2013 2:10 PM

Tags: #cs4 #indesign #cs6

I've recently switched platforms, going from PC to Mac. I used to have Adobe CS 4 on my PC, but now need to buy in Mac format. Problem is, it's discontinued - you can't purchase it anywhere! (Unless you want to go the illegal route) So, I've thought about purchasing Creative Suite 6 - although, I'm concerned with how well InDesign 6 will play with InDesign 4. I've read the other forums that have said you can open the files, but any new features will be lost. My assistant (still on a PC) runs CS 4 and we only really use basic features on our projects - things like text, adding an image, shapes, etc. Not even any special effects, etc. Do you think I would be safe to upgrade to CS 6 and our workflow with InDesign will not be disrupted?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2013 2:16 PM   in reply to miss_la14

CS6 should open your CS4 files without a problem except for some possible changes to line endings in the text due to an updated text engine. It's going from CS6 to CS4 that requires conversion to .idml and can result inthe loss of features.

You won't see the text changes until you touch a story in some way for editing.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2013 2:26 PM   in reply to miss_la14

You CAN'T upgrade to CS6. The only upgrade path to CS6 is from CS5 so you'll have to pay full price.

That said, you can move to CS6 via Creative Cloud for $29.99/month for the first year. As an added benefit, you get two activations just like you do with a normal license but you can choose to have them as Mac AND Windows instead of having to choose.

You can find details on the intro to Creative Cloud here: http://bit.ly/WqroTc

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points