Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Playback delay after switching panels

Jan 19, 2013 3:29 PM

Tags: #delay #playback #delayed

I've just moved to Premiere from FCP and everything is wonderful except there's a 2 second (I timed it) delay for playback (i.e. I hit spacebar and wait 2 seconds before playback begins) immediately after switching panels - for example, from the Source to the Timeline. The delay only happens for the initial playback attempt; afterwards playback response is perfect. It also only happens if I actually playback in another panel before switching, i.e. if I am working in source panel, switch to timeline (but don't playback) and switch back, playback in source is fine. But once I play back in timeline panel (after a delay) the focus seems to "switch" there and now switching back to source panel incurs another delay. Also, there's no delay switching back and forth between the timeline and program panels - just back and forth to the source panel.

This isn't much of an issue for refining edits within the timeline or for pure assembly from the source panel, but for inserting, overwriting, etc it's a real hassle. Also, it doesn't seem to matter what kind of media or format I'm using, it happens for video-only, audio-only, aiff, h264, prores, etc.

I'm running CS 6.0.2 on a 3.1GHz i5 iMac, 8GB RAM

Hope someone can help!

Thanks,

Henry

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2013 7:10 PM   in reply to minutephysics

My best guess is the delay is caused when PP is internally switching the video output to your external monitor from Source to Sequence (or vice versa).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 2:19 AM   in reply to minutephysics

Two issues here:

CS6 has serious problems with caching of material in a timeline, or more accurately, the use of interprocess memory versus regular memory.

The limited amount of memory, only 8 GB which makes this even more clear. Add to that the non-hyperthreading nature of the CPU and this behavior is kind of logical, although less than desirable. Too few disks may increase the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

I've got CS6 running on an i5 with 8GB RAM and only one disk without this issue.  Unless the difference is OS X vs Win 8, I don't think the hardware is the cause.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 1:39 PM   in reply to minutephysics

Its a "thing" that is not CS5 nor CS6.

If so ...we would all have it.

Must be a system or hardware issue ...your end.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 5:42 PM   in reply to minutephysics

That alone should not cause this issue, as editors do this all the time (CD audio is 44.1, most video and hence sequences are set for 48.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points