Skip navigation
swimmerman1989
Currently Being Moderated

Export uncompressed from Elements 11?

Jan 19, 2013 3:00 PM

I have done this in the past with version 5, but I can't seem to find a way to do it in 11.  Working with 1080p video.  Can anyone help?  Hopefully a simple issue.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to swimmerman1989

You can output as an uncompressed AVI -- but what's the point?

If your original video came from a camcorder, it's already been compressed. All you're doing is making a file that's 5 to 20 times the size that's already been compressed.

How do you plan to use your output file? It's likely there's a better format.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 6:22 PM   in reply to swimmerman1989

swimmerman1989 wrote:

No matter how high I jack up the resolution and quality settings, the exported movie is always noticeably lower quality than the video files as they are imported off of the camcorder to the PC.  I wish to export my edited film with the same video quality as the original clips, to transfer to a friends PC for creation of Blu Ray discs.  I have exported in every HD preset.

I have a couple of cameras that do 1080p60.  I have had pleasing results, but I have to adjust the presets.

Try:  Publish+Share > Computer > AVCHD  and pick the preset "MP4 - H264 1920x1080p30".  Then press the "Advanced" button and change the frame rate to 59.94.  When you press "OK" you will be given a chance to save it as a preset.

The output will be 1080p60 and looks great on my 55 inch TV and computer monitor.

When I do it this way, my eyballs can't tell the difference between the original clip and the output clip.  I'm sure there are pixel level differences, but I don't see them.

Bill

PS:  If that does not work, read this thread:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/5006824 that is about lossless rendering.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 5:49 AM   in reply to swimmerman1989

I'm sorry I can't help you if you won't answer my questions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 8:29 AM   in reply to swimmerman1989

swimmerman1989 wrote:

I wish to export a file with the highest quality possible, and then transfer it to a friend's computer to burn Blu Ray Discs, as I said above.

In two years of reading about this, I have found no absolutely lossless process for this.  A more typical solution would be to buy a Blu-Ray burner for your computer and take advantage of the built in tools in Premier Elements to burn your disks.

A second solution is to use your installation disks to install Premier Elements on your friend's computer.  You have two installs for your use under the license. Borrowing the friend's computer for your use seems reasonable.  The process of "archiving" your project would preserve 100% of the quality.  I moved a project from an "old" computer to a "new" computer this way and it was a perfect tramsfer.

If your friend does not have Premier Elements or you don't want to install it, what is the software that is going to do the burning? 

Certainly others have been doing this a lot longer than me and I'm guessing a little.  But, depending on the friend's software requirements, I think my first attempt would be to test the PrE 11 provided AVCHD preset of  MP4 H264 1920x1080p24 as an output to make a video file for the friend's computer.  There is always some "loss of quality" when rendering, but it should be minimal.  The file will be fairly friendly .mp4 vidoe file.

If that does not provide the quality you are looking for, read this thread:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/5006824  It is a much more complicated process.  It might not work, if you don't put matching lossless codecs on both computers and, even still, the target computer BD burner software may not accept it.

Good luck!

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 9:29 AM   in reply to whsprague

What's the value of outputting a lossless file if you're going to make a BluRay out of it? BluRays are by no means lossless files -- but they look great!

As I said, since you're already dealing with compressed video at either end, creating a lossless uncompressed file merely creates a file 5 to 20 times the necessary size.

What not output a full quality, editable high-def file -- or, at the very least, a BluRay ready file?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve Grisetti wrote:

...........Why not output a full quality, editable high-def file -- or, at the very least, a BluRay ready file?

Did I guess right with a  MP4 H264 1920x1080p24 output preset?  Would it be any better to do it under the Share to Disk and pick AVCHD, and an interlaced preset where you can desiginate a file folder?

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 12:43 PM   in reply to whsprague

For producing video for Bluray, your best bet is Publish & Share/Computer/MPEG with the MPEG2 1920x1080i setting.

This type of file is the ideal video format for loading into a disc-authoring program because it is virtually identical to the video file that the program will produce with it authors the BluRay disc.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points