Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Upgrade to i7 let down - am I doing something wrong?

Jan 19, 2013 5:19 PM

Recently upgraded from an AMD Deneb Quad 945 (Asus mobo + 8gig ram) to an Intel i7 3770k (gigabyte ud5h + 16 gig ram). Don't have alot left over for SSD and a new video card, but sheesh ... I'm wondering if that's what should have shelled out the cash for instead! I'm really not seeing any major improvements in performance in Prem. Yes, so I'm wondering if my cash would have been a little better spent downgrading to i5 and a cheaper mobo... and spending the extra upgrading video card and hd/ssd. Any thoughts? Am I missing something? Primarily working with DSLR 1080 footage -- doubt I'll ever edit 4k on this...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2013 5:39 PM   in reply to Illusiumd11

How can we tell...

We cant see what results or performance  you are getting.

We cant see how your system is set up.

We dont know whatgraphic  card you have installed or intend to buy.

We do know an I5 is generally of lesser performance than an I7 though.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 8:23 PM   in reply to Illusiumd11

Run the CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/ and compare your computer to the results on that web site

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 9:00 PM   in reply to John T Smith

Just remember that your results from PPBM5.com should be compared to other users with comparable hardware, as well as the same version of Premiere Pro (CS6 can be slower than previous versions).

It isn't the score that matters. What you want to know is, are you getting the same results as other people. That should tell you if you have it configured correctly. If yours is slower, there are many possible reasons.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 10:36 PM   in reply to Illusiumd11

You should submit your results and you will see your score to compare with others. However, if I am reading those numbers correctly, they are horrible for a PC bought in the last year. Your disk speed is a huge bottleneck. To heck with SSD. You need decent 7200 rpm drives. And more than one drive.

Editing 4K on that PC would initiate suicidal thoughts in me, I don't know about you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 7:57 AM   in reply to Illusiumd11

I have received your submission, but am unclear what the correct figures are.

In  your post you said 125, 144, 114 and 60. In your submission the figures are 121, 149, 362 and 60. Especially the 114 versus 362 is worrisome.  What happened on your system to give these widely different results?

Your Geekbench score of 11380 is pretty much in line with other i7-3770 CPU's, which show 11436 as the average score. For comparison, I did the same Geekbench test and came up with:

Geekbench.png

Or with the 64-bit version:

Geekbench-64.png

With CS6 and your video card, there is one thing that stands out and that is your H.264 test, which is heavily dependent on CPU efficiency. Whether the score is 114 or 362 makes a huge difference. With 114, it is a meager result, with 362 it is disastrously bad. It can indicate that there are a number of background processes and services running that steal CPU cycles during the test.

What have you done to tune your system? Turned off indexing and compression on both disks, turned off Aero, removed the Sidebar, MSN, disabled all Apple processes like mDNSResponder, iTunes, etc. Killed jusched.exe and similar stuff? Disabled services not needed in line with BlackViper suggestions?

Please let me know what changed your scores so dramatically and which figures are the accurate ones to enter into the database.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 5:56 AM   in reply to Illusiumd11

[moved to hardware forum]

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 1:25 PM   in reply to Illusiumd11

Did you completely uninstall all of the drivers from your old AMD installation before you switched motherboards? (Or better still, completely wipe out your Windows drive and reinstall Windows from scratch?) You see, the incompatible motherboard drivers might have caused conflicts with your new Intel-based system.

In addition, I assume that you are using a non-CUDA GPU (which cannot utilize MPE GPU acceleration at all whatsoever, and thus permanently locks Premiere Pro to the software-only mode).

With that Radeon HD 4670 and old-generation disks not in RAID, no wonder why you got relatively poor performance scores all around, even at 114 seconds in the H.264 Blu-ray encoding test. But with that 362-second H.264 score that's officially on the PPBM5 list, there is a huge bottleneck somewhere in that configuration.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 1:39 PM   in reply to Illusiumd11

I'll modify your data tomorrow.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 1:42 PM   in reply to Illusiumd11

That's about what is expected given the non-MPE-capable GPU and the slow-ish disks. A total of 420 seconds, with an RPI close to 8 if not over.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points