Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Wrong black levels for DNxHD clip

Jan 19, 2013 5:05 PM

Tags: #premiere_pro #levels #dnxhd

I have a DNxHD quicktime movie that looks correct in both Quicktime 7 and DaVinci Resolve 9.  When I bring it into Premiere CS 6, it looks washed out.  In the Premiere's waveform monitor, black looks like 14 IRE and white looks like 93 IRE (approximately).  This movie looks correct in Quicktime 7, and also in Davinci Resolve on the same machine.  I have Avid codecs 2.3.8 installed.  Anyone know why?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 20, 2013 9:27 AM   in reply to Elliott B.

Sounds like your DNxHD was exported in 601 / 709 color space (16-235).  Pr works in RGB (0-255).  You can put a levels filter on the footage, and set the RGB input black to 16, and input white to 235, and that will adjust it for RGB editing.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 21, 2013 6:49 AM   in reply to Elliott B.

It is a little odd that Ae accomodates for color space, but Pr doesn't.  You can put in a feature request.

You can minimize the hassle by putting the Levels filter on an Adjustment Layer, or you can copy the effect after you've made the 16-235 adjustment, and paste it on all your video clips.

And, if you have control over the exports from Avid, there is an option there to export in RGB.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points