Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

how to delete an original Path?

Jan 19, 2013 11:56 PM

Tags: #illustrator #mask #clipping_path #help #path #paths #delete #cs6 #clipping #question #clipping_mask #how_to #offset #offset_path #delete_path #delete_clipping_path

Hello:                                                                                                        Level: Newbie  OS: Windows 7 64bit   Ia: Cs6

in short ...

I have made two objects, a vertical elongated ellipse with a circle placed on top that covers a bit of the ellipse and then i made a mask via Ctrl + 7

afterward I want to select the path of the circle and then use the Offset path twice to create two new paths but i want to Delete the first/original path.

however, no matter what i try i cannot seem to Delete the original path.  ????

i have searched the manual, FAQ's and even used Google to try and find an answer.

I don't know if i am not asking the right question(s) or what but it seems as though a path cannot be deleted.

after doing ... say ... selecting the path in the layers panel and then clicking the trash can icon at the bottom of the layers palette the Edit menu will indeed say that the path has been deleted ... but ... when i hover over the area ~ the path is STILL there!!?? arg!

can someone please help me out here?

paths cannot be deleted? i would think if they could be that the manual would have some sort of info.

i find things like ... how to delete part of a path, how to delete anchors ... i mean everything but what i need to know.

erg. oh ... and sigh.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 20, 2013 12:22 AM   in reply to Kar209

What do you see when you turn off the preview (Ctrl+Y)?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 6:01 AM   in reply to Kar209

Now duck, 'cause here comes the sermon:

I don't know if i am not asking the right question(s) or what but it seems as though a path cannot be deleted.

Second order of ignorance: You don't know what you don't know. So if you'll let me, I'll tell you:

What you don't know is: the very basics of how to work the program. You are misunderstanding fundamental things like how selection works and, what a clipping path is. Don't go looking for "tuts" (how I hate that word). Read the program's instructions.

however, no matter what i try i cannot seem to Delete the original path. ????...after doing ... say ... selecting the path in the layers panel and then clicking the trash can icon at the bottom of the layers palette the Edit menu will indeed say that the path has been deleted ... but ... when i hover over the area ~ the path is STILL there!!?? arg!...can someone please help me out here? ...paths cannot be deleted? i would think if they could be that the manual would have some sort of info....i find things like ... how to delete part of a path, how to delete anchors ... i mean everything but what i need to know....erg. oh ... and sigh.

Well, have you had enough of that kind of frustration yet? If not, continue what you're doing. Otherwise, read the program's instructions.

i have searched the manual, FAQ's and even used Google to try and find an answer.

That's the basic falacy: You (and far too many other beginners--you're not alone in this) jump into illustrator with some rough idea of something you want to do, thinking you'll just learn the program by poking around in it. Then you almost immediately encounter frustration and confusion because you haven't taken the time to methodically familiarize yourself with the most fundamental basics of the program's interface, terms, objects, and functions. Your confusion is then compounded by some random puzzle you have in mind (some odd thing you want to draw). The compounded confusion becomes exasperated frustration so you then start frantically looking around for instructions on how to do specifically what you have in mind...as if there exists a step-by-step procedure somewhere for anything you can ever imagine wanting to draw with Illustrator.

That's like deciding to take up watercolor, and then assuming there's a step-by-step procedure for anything and everything you may ever decide to paint.

That's like jumping onto a motorcycle because you want to take an adventure trip from Ft. Lauderdale to Anchorage, and figuring you'll work out where the clutch is and what it does, and how to shift gears along the way.

Forget all that. Methodically read and work through  the provided documentation.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 3:35 PM   in reply to Kar209

...it's lack of complete info, incomplete instructions, hard to find answers...

Manuals focus on the basics. And it is clear in your question that you are struggling with some of the most basic interface aspects (selection) and constructs (Clipping Masks). Those things are explained in the documentation.

I'm more of a hands on learner.

Everyone says that. But no, you're not. You're asking for someone to explain the situation in an online forum. You're reading a written answer here just as much as you are reading a written instruction in the manual.

...if you don't like TUTS then why bother trying to help those that do like TUTS...

Because sometimes I feel like helping them learn what they need to know--which is usually that they need to work through the basics. Not, of course, that I have to explain my reasons; 'cause I don't.

This is an open forum, not a collection of private conversations. Even if the one asking a question chooses not to heed sound advice; many others may benefit.

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points