Skip navigation
Dr_B0B
Currently Being Moderated

Removing Black Borders on PSE 9

Jan 21, 2013 6:51 AM

Tags: #9 #youtube #border #premiere_elements #elements_9 #black_border

Hello!

Before anything, I would like to state that I'm very new to editing with premiere elements (or editing at all).

Now, I'm having a problem with a video. I capture my clips off my screen using a program called Fraps. Once I've finished editing the video, the preview looks fine, so I click the share option and upload it to my YouTube account on PAL HD for YouTube 1920 x 1080.

Then, when I load the video on YouTube, the video haves an annoying black border surrounding it.

I have no idea how to fix this. I've tried looking it up but I haven't found anything of much use.

If you need any more details please say so and I'll post them in a response.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 21, 2013 7:16 AM   in reply to Dr_B0B

There are a number of challenges with using FRAPS video in Premiere Elements. It's not a good fit at all.

But the reason you're seeing black borders is because the size of your FRAPs video is different than the size and/or dimensions of your video project.

What is the exact size, in pixels, of the are or the screen you are capturing with your FRAPs program?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 8:10 AM   in reply to Dr_B0B

If the area you're capturing can be resized to 1280x720, then it would fit into a Premiere Elements video frame.

All projects edited in Premiere Elements must fit into one of its frame sizes:

1920x1080

1280x720

640x480 (or, in non-square pixels, 720x480)

If your video fits perfectly into one of these video frames, you won't have black bars around it when you output your movie.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 8:10 AM   in reply to Dr_B0B

Dealing with just the black bars, and using PrE, the best that you can do is to pick a Project Preset, with a Frame Size, as close to your FRAPS material, as is possible, and then to use the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale to enlarge the footage, to fill the Video Frame Size. Scaling UP will slightly degrade the image, but there is no way around it.

As your 1366 x 768 has an Aspect Ratio (1.78 vs 1.777 - essentially the same), very, very close to that of 1920 x 1080, that would be my choice. Your PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) is going to be PAR = 1.0, or Square Pixels, so that will be what you also want. You might loose a few pixels on one side, but not such that one would ever notice.

PrE is designed to work with standard Video Frame Sizes, and offers no way to create a Custom Frame Size, like PrPro does, so you are limited to just those standard Sizes.

For some tips on FRAPS, and other video screen-cap programs, this older article might have some useful info. Note: much of the discussion IS for PrPro, and not PrE, so one has to take a few limitations into mind: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4461642#4461642

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 2:06 PM   in reply to Dr_B0B

The only way to get that first video screen-cap material to fill the Video Frame Size, is to adjust the Scale to fill the 1920 x 1080 Frame Size.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 5:05 PM   in reply to Dr_B0B

For every Clip Imported into the Project, and used on the Timeline, there are several Fixed Effects, that are automatically added to each Clip. Those are Motion (with Scale, Position & Rotation), and then Opacity, and Volume, if the Clip has Audio attached to it.

The Motion>Scale is what you will want to adjust. If you have multiple Clips, you can do the adjustment for Motion>Scale in the first one, then Rt-click, choosing Copy. Then, Select all other, similar Clips on the Timeline, Rt-click on those, and choose Paste Attributes. That will then apply the adjustment to the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale to all of those.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 8:44 AM   in reply to Dr_B0B

Right-click on a clip or still on the timeline and select Show Properties. This will open the clip's Properties panel.

Click on the little triangle to the listing for Motion and you should have access to the Position, Scale and Rotation properties Bill describes.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points