Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Exporting .xmp workflow – advice needed

Jan 21, 2013 8:52 AM

Please see this post and help if you can. Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 21, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to TLL...

Guess my question would be what is size of the average raw and what is size of average xmp file?  If the xmp file is only 1 - 10 % of the raw file size what would you gain? It seems like to be of any advantage the xmp would have to be close to the size of the raw file.  Usually the xmp is quite small.

So to gain space you would be better served to unneeded images or put them in cold storage.  HD space is cheap now, and if a comercial account storage would be cost effective if the image is needed in the future.  If the chance of future use is slim then you have to ask yourself is it worth the storage price to me, or to the client?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to TLL...

If you click View/show hidden files you can see the xmp files.  If you have a 200 meg tiff how big is the xmp?  My point is that if the xmp is 200k you could delete on tiff and it would be worth 1000 xmp files and make your life a lot simpler.  If it is 20k then 10,000 xmp files = 1 image.  Surely the xmp is not in the hundreds of megabyte range?

To save an xmp file you can choose manually, or else you will have to have a script written to do in bulk.  But before you do this you have to answer the question "how will I pair up the xmp files to the original if they come from different folders when I want to reconstruct the image?".

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 10:06 AM   in reply to TLL...

Depends on how you edit image.  If you edit tiff in ACR an xmp file will be created.  If you edit in PS then there will be no xmp, at least in my small test.

Original tiff 15 mb  xmp 6kb.  Edited in PS and added 2 layers size jumped to 48 mb.

Edit on in ACR just to check if xmp shows and how big it will be.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 11:23 AM   in reply to TLL...

TLL,

I admit I made a mistake on the xmp.  I had a tiff edited in ACR and a xmp was in place with same name.  However that was the xmp for the nef of the same name.  You can see if the image has been edited in ACR as it has a "badge" symbol in upper right corner.

But apparently there are no xmp files generated for jpg and tif files edited within ACR, the data is recorded inside the file in the same format as for xmp.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 11:55 AM   in reply to TLL...

In you image from post 4 I see the badge of an ACR edit.  But if this just contains data from ACR edit (exposure, tint, etc.) it may only less than 10 kb of information.  The real volume of edits will be from the stuff you edit in PS and don't think it is included in xmp.  I added 3 layers in a tiff image and can see no ACR edit badge, so assuming no xmp file was not created.

So therefore, you can save maybe 10 kb by stripping out the xmp file, but if the edits are 300 mb, and not in the xmp file, what is the point?

You need to try this on a test image and see what you come up with.

I have no idea how one would strip all the edit data from an image.  More storage seems like the simple answer as seems like you are creating a nightmare.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 1:53 PM   in reply to TLL...

The issue I can not get beyond is this, as I understand your explaination.

1.  You have a 400 mb image which is a tiff image. 

2.  You run it though the ACR edit in Photosop to adjust for color and whatever.  This file is 5 kb.

3.  You then save as TIFF.

You state "We do not want to save these images after we're done using them to make other things.". 

My problem - if you can strip out the xmp file which contains the edit data and throw away the image how will that recreate anything.  For instance say you just adjust the color temperature by 500 degrees negative.  THis is recorded in the xmp file, but for it to be of any use it has to access the original image.  So if that is thrown away what good is it to know the kelvin temp was 500 too warm?

My second problem - if you are starting with a raw image why convert to tiff and then do the ACR edits?  Why not do the ACR edits on the raw, convert to tiff if needed for printing, then delete tiff?  You are still left with original raw and xmp.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points