Skip navigation
publications_NAA
Currently Being Moderated

How to fix a flickering cursor in InDesign CS5.5?

Jan 21, 2013 12:34 PM

Tags: #flashing #cursor #flickering

I've been having issues with my cursor for some time now. It started randomly about two months ago. Almost every time I click on a tool, and start to work with that tool, the cursor flickers between the default arrow and the selected tool. This is making it very difficult to select text, and do countless other things. I'm working in InDesign version 7.5.3 on a Mac Mini running Mountain Lion 10.8.2. I have a wired keyboard and a wireless mighty mouse. Please HELP!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 21, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to publications_NAA

Have you tried another mouse?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 7:11 PM   in reply to publications_NAA

I don't know if you're still following your several month-old topic, but if so, did you ever resolve this?  I just upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, and Indesign CS6 now has a flickering cursor that makes it very hard to use.  I've gathered from other posts that there may be something specific about upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, and it may not be a coincidence that on my laptop, where I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion, Indesign CS6 works fine!

This is driving me crazy!  Did you ever fix it?

Charles

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 1:21 AM   in reply to TheophanD

Upgrading the OS rather than doing a clean install of the new OS version and reinstalling the applications is a gamble. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't. It's possible that's the problem. If you didn't reinstall ID after the upgrade, you might try that.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 6:34 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Many thanks!

I've seen some people with what may or may not be similar problems saying that deleting the InDesign preferences, cache, and pretty much everything in "Application Support" for Indesign fixed the problem.  Is there any risk in deleting those things?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 6:52 AM   in reply to TheophanD

As long as you  have your custom presets backed up, there is no harm deleting the InDesign preferences and the InDesign recovery folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 7:06 AM   in reply to TheophanD

You can read about backing up at Replace Your Preferences

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

MANY thanks to both of you for very helpful replies!

Weirdest thing (but nice): yesterday the cursor in InDesign was flickering so badly I could hardly tell where it was, much less which type of cursor it was, but today it seems to be fine!  I am unaware of anything I did that might account for the change.  I rebooted, but I'd done that a couple of times before since upgrading to Mountain Lion, just in case, so I don't know why it's working, now, or whether it'll go back again to flickering.  But I'm hoping for the best.  I'm keeping your suggestions saved in case it recurs.

Thanks again!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to TheophanD

There have been many reports of problems using Apple wireless mice.

You can Google this issue.

Some attempts at a fix:

• Adjust scrolling speed in Preferences
    • Clear battery contacts
    • Optical sensor is dirty

If you have a old wired mouse that still works OK, try using this to test the problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points