Skip navigation
vh2
Currently Being Moderated

Eye Candy plugins, all of a sudden, don't work anymore...

Jan 21, 2013 7:13 PM

Tags: #error #plugins #internal_error #eye_candy #alien_skin

I have FW CS5 on Windows 7 (64 bit).  I have been using various Eye Candy plugins (by Alien Skin) for about a year, and they worked fine.  But yesterday, seemingly for no reason, they all stopped working (Eye Candy 5 [Impact, Nature, Textures], Image Doctor, Xenofex 2).  When I access them via the Properties panel, and I click on one of them, nothing happens.  And when I access them via the drop-down menu at the top of the UI, under Filters, I get an error message:  "Could not complete your request.  An internal error occurred."

I have tried re-installing the plugins and FW, but that didn't change anything.  I deleted the preferences and that didn't help either.  All my other plugins work fine. Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 22, 2013 10:27 PM   in reply to vh2

Have you reported this to Alien Skin?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 12:04 AM   in reply to vh2

Know what? I just checked my own Alien Skin plugns, and you are right. They don't work. In fact, no plugins were working in Fireworks. To begin with, FW had lost the link to the photoshop plugins fiolder. When I relinked to it, FW didn't find the Alien Skin plugins. I've just filed a bug report. If you would like to file one as well, you can do it here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 12:29 PM   in reply to vh2

Thanks for posting. We had to discontinue support for Fireworks due to multiple issues caused by the Live Effects. At this time we do not have any plans to bring back support for Fireworks, but that could change. I can not make any promises on that matter though. If you are on a Windows computer, you stand a better chance at getting it to work than if you are on a Mac, but still, the success rate on Windows is about 50%.

Since the gold standard for plug-ins is Photoshop compatiblity, Fireworks should in theory handle them. Since it won't it's likely Adobe has either inadvertently broken something, or they are only allowing older plugins to run. Since we are always updating and using the latest versions of software to create out plug-ins, this creates an extra layer of possible problems. Eitherway, complaining to Adobe in mass, would be the best route to take. Im sure it seems like the requests go into a void, but if you get a lot of people asking for the same thing, you may get a response.

Rest assured, if we ever decided to bring back Fireworks support, we will scream it from the top of every mountain.

If you don't mind me asking, what other plug-ins do people use in Fireworks, besides Eye Candy?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points