Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Mosaic via clipping?

Jan 21, 2013 8:58 PM

I have this idea to place a raster image from Photoshop into Illustrator, and to have an array of Illustrator shapes over this placed image, to clipping mask the raster image with the shapes, and then to move the shapes individually, each one retaining it's section of that raster image which it clipped.

I believe I'm getting the clipping part to happen, but when I move the shapes with the Direct Selection tool, the clipped contents doesn't move with it.

I think that all of my shapes, taken as a whole are clipping this raster image...am I barkin' up the wrong tree here?

thank you!

w

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 21, 2013 11:10 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

Cliping paths do not cut anything. They merely mask visibility of pixels. If you need multiple pieces, you need to actually duplicate the image layer and apply its own clipping mask.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 11:44 PM   in reply to Mylenium

As Mylenium says:

Tuba.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 6:14 AM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

What you want is a feature called a lens fill.

Among many other things, Illustrator does not provide that. Canvas, Corel Draw, and Adobe's other drawing program, FreeHand, have for many years.

In Illustrator, in some instances, (depending on what exactly you are doing) you can resort to a cheap, cheezy, and cumbersome "cheat" by:

1. Store the artwork or raster image that you want to clip as a Symbol.

2. Use multiple paths on Instances of that Symbol.

That way, your file still only contains the artwork once. Like a magnifyer lens fill, you can scale the clipped instances individually (i.e.; the functional equivalent of detail views). And editing the artwork (by editing the Symbol) updates the various instances contained in the several clipping paths.

I did a demo of this here some years back, to create a zoomed-in detail of a map, in which edits to the map automatically updated the detail view.

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points