Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Specific Reflection on a 3D Surface?

Jan 22, 2013 5:29 AM

I am creating a chrome emblem using Photoshop's CS6's 3D tool. On the face of the surface I want a specific reflection (an image of city street with people walking, etc.). I want to be able to control this reflection by moving it around on the surface so I can control what is reflecting.

Can someone provide me with instructions on how to do this?

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 22, 2013 11:14 AM   in reply to shannonwbrown

It sounds like you want to add your own image for Image Based Lighting (IBL).

In the 3D panel choose Environment, then in the Properties panel note the IBL section near the top.  You can load your own image using the icon just to the right of the icon.

Depending on the size and detail of your IBL image, as well as the material properties you set up, you can get somewhat blurry, diffuse reflections or quite detailed ones...

Some quick examples...

Cup1.jpg

Cup2.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 22, 2013 12:33 PM   in reply to shannonwbrown

Yes, Photoshop turns it into a panoramic projection.

Here's what my IBL texture looks like.  I jimmied it around until I got a decent looking reflection.

IBL.jpg

If you need an image for the background of the rendering, you can do that with a layer below the 3D layer in Photoshop itself.  In the sample above I used some mild gradients I painted quickly.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2013 4:16 PM   in reply to shannonwbrown

Photoshop expects the image supplied as an IBL (or environment image in a material) to be a spherical panorama (a.k.a. latitude longitude image) of the environment. If crucial reflections are to be in roughly horizontal directions and you are willing to accept some distortion, you may get away with a regular rectangular image as demonstrated by Noel. Such an image should have a width:height ratio of 2:1 as does a spherical panorama.

The reasons you are seeing all these legs and feet in a stretched radial array are:

1. The camera is pointed vertically downward.

2. The non-spherical-panorama environment image is being spherically projected, so it appears to be progressively pinched toward the poles of the virtual environment sphere.

3. Both times you've posted an image in this thread, you have zoomed far out from the document, and the low-contrast image that's being displayed to help you adjust the rotation of the environment is being grossly stretched by the display transformation, but that stretching will not be in the rendering.

Use a roughly horizontally aimed camera and have the extruded logo upright instead of lying on its back.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points