Skip navigation
tanacotti
Currently Being Moderated

File size too big, but nothing left to reduce?

Jan 22, 2013 9:00 AM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #place #jpg #file_size #reduce #place_image #fuzzy_text

I'm making a digital pricing book for my photo business and so I'm using mainly photos and a few text for the spreads in Illustrator. My file sizes are way too big for what I am using this for. Normally, I could just save as jpg however I can't figure out how to save text as a jpg, it ends up being too fuzzy. I remember I was taught a long time ago to "create outlines" on all text but that doesn't work. The other way I tried to solve this problem is to just reduce the size of the images before 'placing' them into the spreads. The sizes of all the images were about 300 KB, however once I place them into the file and then save, the file size jumps up to between 30-50 MB almost everytime!  I know its the image becuase I  look at the file size before and after placing an image. So my questions are...

Either 1. How do you save text as a jpg and keep the text crisp?

And/Or

2. Why are the file sizes jumping up to such a high file size, am I saving wrong?

For the record, I'd like the answer the both of these questions for future projects. Especially when printing text, and the printing company only takes jpgs, and I always end up with fuzzy text.

Using Illustrator CS4 on MAC 10.6.8, spreads are 8 by 16 inches.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 22, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to tanacotti

First, find a new printing company that will take PDFs. The images at 300KB are compressed images. When placed into AI the images are uncompressed to their full size. Try opening one of the images in Photoshop and note the size in the lower left. That the size AI sees. The best bet is to deliver PDF files which can contain compressed image files and live text which will print clearly.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 22, 2013 2:05 PM   in reply to tanacotti

How do I keep text crisp while saving in jpg?

You don't. JPEG is strictly a raster image format. It cannot contain live text objects or vector-based paths (which is what you have when you convert text to outlines).

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points