Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Paint Brush Constancy

Jan 22, 2013 3:24 PM

Tags: #color #quality #cs6 #paint

paint_quality.jpg

This is a very enlarged image of a line I painted. What I want to do is paint a solid line that is all the same color. You see how at the edges its a blend of the color and it's background? I want to get rid of that. Is there a setting I can change that will make it more crisp or higher quality? Maybe I should use a different tool to achieve this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 22, 2013 5:21 PM   in reply to Seth Urquhart

The Pencil Tool (on the same flyout as Brush Tool) produces aliased marks.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 22, 2013 6:32 PM   in reply to Seth Urquhart

To expand on what Conroy has said, what you describe is a desired feature of the Brush Tool.  It makes smooth lines, which require anti-aliasing - (plain and simple) a mixing of the painted color with the background.  By setting the Brush Tool to lower Hardness values the "mixed edges" get even larger and more diffuse.  The Hardest setting still will make smooth edges, as you have shown.

As Conroy correctly points out, the Pencil Tool is the one that fully colors some pixels while leaving others untouched. 

You may find out in the end that, unless you have a very specific need for such hard boundaries, you're not fond of the resultant look of things drawn with the Pencil Tool.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points