Skip navigation
ratill
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 won't publish my file, but doesn't throw an error.

Jan 22, 2013 1:11 PM

Tags: #cs5 #flash #as2 #publish #action_script_2 #publish_to_swf

I've run into this problem a lot, and i haven't found a solid work around or rational reason for it to happen, but here's the issue. I'll be working on a presentation and everything is fine, but once the FLA file gets over a certain file size (~120MB usually) it will hang when publishing, then close the publishing window likes it is finished, but no file is created.  Currently the file is about 153MB.

I've watched the folder it's publishing into, and when it starts I can see the SWF being created, but then nothing and it disappears.

Does anyone know A) why this is actually happening, and B)how I get around it. Before I've had to get the FLA size down, but that seems like an inane process for the program to work.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 22, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to ratill

Is CS5 updated?

Any other apps running while exporting? (Antivirus/malware/spyware)

What is the nature of your project? Lots of video? Audio? Embedded fonts (a killer)?

What OS?

What hardware specs (cpu/ram)?

Is the project under NDA or will you accept help from someone else trying to export your project to see if they can export it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 3:10 PM   in reply to ratill

Consider CS5 was made WAY before Win8 ever came out.

Try this Microsoft compatibility article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible -version-windows

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 5:07 AM   in reply to ratill

Careful with personal info on the forums. Spiders will steal it and you'll end up in a database somewhere you don't want to be.

With 32GB RAM you can safely ignore the question about running too many apps at once (within reason). Have you tried something simple like right-clicking the application icon to "Run as Administrator" to see if it can write your file? That's getting more into OS-level permission issues (not having permission to write the SWF or generate temp files required to do so).

You mention this only starts to happen over a certain file size. Each upgrade of Flash tends to add more useful structuring, metadata and other enhancements to file formats. I've found saving the file into a new file set down to a lower version of flash sometimes helps things (CS3 or CS4). Save down, close your file, re-open the new file and see if that exports.

What is the nature of the file? Does it have a lot of embedded fonts, images, video or audio? If you have a lot of images are they all set for JPEG compression on export, and what did you set the quality of that compression to?

In the SWF publish settings try unchecking the "Compress" checkbox to see if you can export it without compression.

The idea here is to narrow down which part of the process is failing, between file permissions, asset compression or corrupt FLAs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 5:40 AM   in reply to ratill

The extra data each newer version of the software adds (XMP, smart objects, etc etc) is the file size that's added. The save-down technique removes that which sometimes simplfiies the file and solves the issue. So those added on abilities didn't affect it, narrowing down the problem.

The lead you generated is turning off XMP and hidden layers. I don't feel XMP is the issue because it's really so simple but you do have media files that can utilize it so I can't rule it out. Try exporting with only no hidden layers (what I suspect allowed it to export) and then once only with XMP data unchecked, see which allows you to export.

If it's XMP then there's some issue encoding the XMP data for your media files and unless you're using XMP data you can feel safe about disabling that.

If it's no hidden layers, which it probably is, this can really mess up your export. Any layers you have hidden are not exported and a lot of those layers are typically vital (masks are one example). Just hiding a layer so you can edit a different layer, but then forgetting to unhide the layer, will cause that layer not to be discarded (thus no mask and a bad SWF output). So look at what is contained on your hidden layers. Something on one of those is causing the issue. It could be a mask Flash doesn't like or any layer you've turned off for any good reason, but fully intend to export. Turn on hidden layers you find one by one until you crash. If you consistently crash when enabling that layer, you've narrowed down your problem.

Corrupted bitmaps do happen time to time. Chances are you'll find a media asset on a hidden layer that crashes when you enable it. The fix is usually just re-importing that graphic. (right-click on the image in the library, hit properties, hit import, locate the bitmap and select it, hit ok, click update and finally click OK and the bitmap will be re-imported). If that doesn't work, just re-save that bitmap (open Photoshop or your image editing app and simply re-save the bitmap over itself). Same process if it's audio or video. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 6:27 AM   in reply to ratill

It's happened a million times to me too. Of course, always around deadline time.. Now you have some general issue narrowing techniques incase it happens again. Glad it's working for you! If you're all set please mark any helpful/correct so we can filter unanswered questions. Good luck!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points