Skip navigation
CaptainMOB
Currently Being Moderated

Rollback  and INstallation Unsuccessful

Nov 20, 2007 6:22 AM

I get the message Installation was unseccessful.

The update cannot be applied to the product. Please re-install the product and try again.

I reinstall flash pro(cause you can't just reinstall Device Central) and I still get the same message.

any suggestions.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2007 4:29 AM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    Have the exact same Problem. Update is running and then rolls back and tells me to uninstall and reinstall the program.
    But this doesn't help.
    Anyone has an solution for this problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2007 8:00 PM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    This also happened to me. After the patch failing to update and doing a rollback, device central now says it is corrupt and I need to re-install the product. When you go into the creative suite un/installer, there is no option to just repair / reinstall device central. Pardon the language, but this is a real f**k off!

Anyone from Adobe care to share 1. why the patch is failing so miserably and 2. how can users EASILY repair the damage done by the patch.

Is there a patch for the patch or something....?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2007 8:52 AM   in reply to aran.rhee
    the same thing happening with the french version of cs3.... :S

and no reaction from adobe :s?!!!?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2007 7:42 AM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    I actually did a successfull update, (or at least thats what the installer told me). But now Device Central unexpectedly quits every time I try to launch. Even did a new succsssfull reinstall. Same problem... ADC unexpectedly quits.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2007 1:25 AM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    I'm having the same problem...Tried 3 times
    and it takes a good 20 mins each time...jeeez
    Now I can't use Device Central and there
    is no option to Uninstall or reinstall the dang thing.

Does andybody from Adobe read these Forums or reply??

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2007 1:43 AM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    Happened to me twice as well. Each time it takes well over an hour of maxing out one of my processors before it fails. I miss the days of fast and easy Macromedia installers.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2007 9:21 AM   in reply to Fesick
    I am having the same problem. This is the only place that I can even find this issue mentioned. This product costs way too much to not be supported. Does anyone from Adobe read this? How about at least some acknowledgment that there is an issue to be addressed?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2007 10:20 AM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    Ditto. It's been stuck with about 1/2 inch left on the install bar. This is the third time I've tried it. It's been over an hour this time and maxing out my CPU. Are you there, Adobe people?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2007 10:44 AM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    I'm waiting for a reply from Adobe Tech. From the sound
    of the first reply I had from them they are clueless.
    This last time I tried to update from a direct download it took
    97 mins to try install and nearly 90 mins to roll back...whats with that?
    I tried updating my copy of CS3 on my laptop with XP...it installed fine
    in less than 10 mins both flash and device central.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2007 11:12 AM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    Device Central IS supported. However, these are peer-to-peer forums that we try to monitor as resources allow, but we don't necessarily participate.

Official support is avialable to all CS3 owners via http://www.adobe.com/support.

So far the only reported cases of the update failing are here in this post. It would be helpful to us if you could each open support cases.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2007 11:34 PM   in reply to CaptainMOB

Bad lucky! I also met this problem.
    But I can't get any information from Adobe's web suppot

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2007 1:10 PM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    The support link you have given is not available either at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Official support is available to all CS3 owners via http://www.adobe.com/support.
    Also the Patcher File log now stands at 62 meg which is a lot of text

You can find the patcher and update logs for your applications in the following locations:

Windows: C:\Documents and Setting\<username>\Application Data\Adobe\PatcherLogs\*.log

Also having a similiar problem with Illustrator updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adobe come on just supply the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2007 10:54 PM   in reply to AusterRon
    Is this the correct area for my post?

Just purchased Photoshop CS3 and I am attempting the updating process. All updates were successful except for one update...Flash Lite 3.

Flash Lite 3 Update for Device Central CS3 Failed to Install. Recommend program reinstallation and try again.
    I did reinstall CS3 and it was the same...installation of Flash Lite 3 update for Device Central CS 3 Failed again. I've tried numerous times. I'm looking at these posts and if I am correct, many others are having the same problem.

Has anyone been successful with this update?

Regards,
    RM

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2007 3:03 AM   in reply to runnman
    To Adobe support:

After going through the install logs, here are the apparently relevant errors which appear on my system:

11/20/07 10:57:28 ERROR CAPS unable to return szInstallLanguage.
    11/20/07 11:05:35 INFO Access denied to the registry key: DeviceCentral.advs\shell\Open\command
    11/20/07 11:05:35 ERROR MyThreadProc Registry operation failed.
    11/20/07 11:05:36 INFO Patching fails, Rolling back the changes done by the patcher...
    11/20/07 11:05:36 INFO Patch resumed...
    11/20/07 11:05:36 ERROR Set status to rollback
    11/20/07 11:05:36 INFO Exiting patch thread, creating rollback thread...

Next time the installer runs, I can see the same error messages appear as well. It has further errors about creating certain registry keys:

11/20/07 11:08:43 INFO Registry is not present. Patcher will create it.
    11/20/07 11:08:43 ERROR Unable to create the registry path.
    11/20/07 11:08:43 INFO creating registry path: DeviceCentral.advs
    11/20/07 11:08:43 INFO creating registry path: DeviceCentral.advs\shell
    11/20/07 11:08:43 INFO Registry tree created successfully.
    11/20/07 11:08:43 INFO Registry is validated for addition.
    11/20/07 11:08:43 ERROR Patcher fails to create the registry key. Patch will fail.

I hope this will help you to fix the patcher that multiple people are obviously having issues with.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2007 9:20 AM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    I have had the install failure with Device Central too, and have recently submitted a customer service ticket. I will keep you all posted about how long and how reliable the customer serice will be.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2007 9:52 AM   in reply to morsadesign
    quote:

Originally posted by: morsadesign
    I have had the install failure with Device Central too, and have recently submitted a customer service ticket. I will keep you all posted about how long and how reliable the customer serice will be.

Don't hold your breath..I opened a ticket on the 19th they replied on the 22nd with "Uninstall, reinstall BS"
    I replied immediately and I am still waiting for a re-reply. I had another ticket open for another problem
    I am having with another component of Creative suite and they just simply closed it without a reply.
    I am totally disgusted with Adobe...every single element of Creative suite has a some sort of problem for me,
    and not one of them addressed. I have been using some sort of Adobe program for over 12 years but I am
    seriously considering other options from now on.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2008 8:49 AM   in reply to Jelita
    Been have the EXACT same problem. I reinstalled Flash Pro and Flash Reader and am still getting the same error message. I just opened a case with Adobe Technical Support. We'll see if I get a reply.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2008 5:53 PM   in reply to Paul_H._Jones
    I too have had problems with installing this update, same results as everyone else.

Last few months it was the flash player update (which seemed to last forever), but they did eventually get it resolved. Not much we can do but be patient......Happy New Year!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2008 3:55 AM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    Okay..Reply from Adobe...seems we must wait until next update or a future update at least.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2008 12:28 PM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    At last success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    but alas not on my desktop but my laptop!!!!

I have had numerous problems with the desktop installation which had the beta CS3 version (and I did all the cleanup operations several times) installed and no problems with my laptop which did not!!!!!!!

Is this the answer to many of the update problems??

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2008 9:06 PM   in reply to AusterRon
    I never installed CS3 beta on this box with the issue, so that is not the issue for me.

Waiting for another patch - great. So I have to sit around with either a broken or un-updatable product....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2008 12:51 PM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    Same problem here on both of my computers (using CS3 Master Collection).

The installer update pops up, I follow the prompts and the installation progress takes freakin' FOREVER to perform the "installing update" process. After about 30 minutes or so, it fails with:

The update cannot be applied to the product. Please re-install the product and try again. Flash Lite 3 Update for Device Central CS3 failed to install.

Like other have said, the above message is totally bogus since there is no selection in the Adobe installer to select either Flash Lite or Device Central.

This happens on a brand new PC with a new install of CS3 and no previous versions of Adobe software.

Just another issue of many problems with the Adobe installer in general. I have never seen so many problems with an installation in my entire 25 years in the computer industry.

Now I hear Adobe has FINALLY acknowledged this as a problem and we need to wait for an update....so I guess we can wait for another update to fail to fix this update? OMG.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2008 4:45 PM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    First off I'm sorry to hear all of you that are having difficulty with Device Central, updates and Flash Lite 3. It can be frustrating as an end user to not be able to use the tools that you've purchased.

Without knowing all of the steps that have happened I can only recommend the following:
    - uninstall Flash CS3
    - restart your system
    - install Flash CS3 (which will install DC)
    - do the Adobe updater
    - install the FL3 update for Flash CS3 and DC
    - restart your system

I've also forwarded this thread onto the Device Central product team to ask them to take a look and add comments here to provide guidance.

I'll be checking this forum often and hope there's an answer to resolve the issues that are being discussed.

Best,

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2008 6:16 PM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    Hi Bill,
    Hopefully the DC product team can review this comment too...

For some reason, dynamic text fields do not work on CS3 when publishing Flash Lite 1.1 content and using an embedded font (rather than device). I am certain that I am doing things correctly (bitmap text, embedding fonts, etc.), because I verified that the files work perfectly with Flash 8.

To be more direct, a Flash Lite 1.1 swf in Flash 8 will have perfect dynamic text with a custom font. When I open and publish the same .fla in DC and CS3, the text fields appear empty--as if the font is not being embedded. When publishing from CS3, the fonts also do not work on devices. When publishing (the same fla) using Flash 8, the fonts work in the emulator and on devices.

System Info:
    Mac OS X 10.5.1 (Build 9B18)
    Flash CS3 with ALL updates
    Device Central 1.1.0 (Build 1107)

Device Info:
    Nokia 5700 (Flash Lite 2.0 preinstalled)
    Nokia 6620 (Flash Lite 2.0 from Adobe)
    Nokia nGage (Flash Lite 1.1 from Adobe)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2008 7:13 PM   in reply to Bill Perry
    Hi Bill:

I did exactly what you said, and after 90 minutes of uninstalling Flash CS3, rebooting, reinstalling, rebooting, and applying the Updater, it failed again with the exact same error.

I had no other apps running, and even shut down my anti-virus right after rebooting each time.

<sigh>

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2008 7:37 AM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    All,

Two things...

1. If you opened a support case please post your case number so I can check it out.

2. Engineering is looking at this issue and we may need to gather more specifics from a few customer machines. It appears to be an issue inside the Device Central update patch, but we're not quite sure what yet. This is specific to Device Central. If I can get the above case numbers the I can contact you directly for further info..

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2008 5:11 AM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    Hi Bentley Wolfe,

My Technical Support Case Number is 173065739. As advised by Paul V.
    Adobe Technical Support Engineer, I downloaded and installed the Windows versions of Adobe Flash Player Update for Flash CS3 Professional (9.0.2) ( http://www.adobe.com/support/flash/downloads.html) and then Flash Lite 3.0 update for Device Central CS3 (multi-lingual) ( http://www.adobe.com/support/devicecentral/downloads.html). The Adobe Flash Player Update for Flash CS3 Professional (9.0.2) installed with no problems. However, the Flash Lite 3.0 update for Device Central CS3 gave the following error messages: 1) Roll back in progress . . ., and then 2) The update cannot be applied to the Product. Please re-install the product and try again.

Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2008 2:13 PM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    Jelita, do you have a case #? If so please reply so I can see where you got that information..

I'm in touch with Device Central Engineering regarding this issue. I'm attempting to determine if we need more info beyond what's reported in the logs from this thread. When I know more I'll post back.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2008 9:45 PM   in reply to BWolfe [ADOBE]
    quote:

Originally posted by: BWolfe [ADOBE]
    Jelita, do you have a case #? q]

Hello...

Case No. #173044771
    thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2008 8:35 AM   in reply to Jelita
    quote:

Originally posted by: Jelita
    quote:

Originally posted by: BWolfe [ADOBE]
    Jelita, do you have a case #? q]
    Hello...

Case No. #173044771
    thanks

Thanks. I've reassigned that case number to myself. I've spoken with Paul and some of the other folks with this issue, and when I have more info I'll get in touch with you as well (plus I'll post back to this thread).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2008 1:23 PM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    Does any one know if you can delete the files created in the:
    Windows: C:\Documents and Setting\<username>\Application Data\Adobe\PatcherLogs\*.log

as I have several 60+ meg in size due the the number of failures to install??

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2008 2:51 PM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    AusterRon...

Yes, you can delete the log files. Shouldn't be a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2008 6:49 PM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    Here is the result of my contacting Adobe.

Case 173060029

"Thank you for contacting Adobe® Web Support for assistance with Adobe
    Photoshop® CS3.

I understand that you still cannot install the Device Central™ update
    and get the error: “update cannot be applied to the product. Please
    reinstall the product and try again.”

Uninstall Photoshop from the Control Panel and then log into a
    simplified mode and a new user account by following steps five and eleven in the troubleshooting document. Once in a simplified mode and a new administrative user account reinstall Photoshop from the
    installation media. Then try updating while still in a simplified mode
    and a new user account. Here is the troubleshooting document again, if
    you need it.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb400919

I hope this information helps to resolve your issue."

I am logged in as Administrator and have uninstalled and reinstalled CS3 with no change in the problem. The update installs, does a rollback and reports it cannot install the update. The Patcherlog implies it failed trying to create a registry entry. Adobe never asked me to submit it or made any comment on the portion that I submitted. Thankfully I don't use Device Central but was advised that it is integrated in the suite and would cause problems if uninstalled. I finally found the updater and unselected Device Central to discontinue trying the update.

It seems that Adobe is clueless.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2008 9:25 AM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    All,

When you open support cases (and please DO open cases and provide case numbers here) please provide the following information:

-- Build Number of Device Central and with which product Device Central was installed. You can find the build number by right clicking C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Device Central CS3\DeviceCentral.exe, choosing Properties and getting Version and build info from the 'version' tab.

-- Please provide the Patch Execution Log.
    On Windows the location is %APPDATA%\Adobe\PatcherLogs
    On Mac, the location is ~/Library/Logs/Adobe/SoftwareUpdates

tfrish, sorry about that. I'll do some internal documentation to try to avoid having the lower level techs have folks doing pointless troubleshooting... additionally I've taken over the case directly and I may contact you privately for the above information.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2008 12:41 AM   in reply to BWolfe [ADOBE]
    Apprently a couple of registry keys have read-only permissions causing the update to fail - at least on my machine (XP Pro).

The offenders are HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DeviceCentral.advs and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DeviceCentral.adpp and all of their respective subkeys and values. The System account has full access but my user/group (Administrators), for whatever reason, did not. I went in with regedit and changed the permissions to allow me full control, and the update finally suceeded. I could care less about the update it's self, except now the stupid Adobe Updater will at least stop re-downloading the same patch over and over again.

Standard disclaimers apply, and YMMV.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2008 2:28 PM   in reply to ManChicken1911
    This worked for me at last, now I have only Illustrator to sort which had a similar problem on installation.

Cheers

quote:

Originally posted by: ManChicken1911
    Apprently a couple of registry keys have read-only permissions causing the update to fail - at least on my machine (XP Pro).

The offenders are HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DeviceCentral.advs and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DeviceCentral.adpp and all of their respective subkeys and values. The System account has full access but my user/group (Administrators), for whatever reason, did not. I went in with regedit and changed the permissions to allow me full control, and the update finally suceeded. I could care less about the update it's self, except now the stupid Adobe Updater will at least stop re-downloading the same patch over and over again.

Standard disclaimers apply, and YMMV.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2008 6:16 PM   in reply to CaptainMOB
    SUCCESS FOR ME TOO!

Thanks ManChicken!

Now hopefully Adobe tech can add this to their tech support docs (assuming it doesn't cause any problems or issues elsewhere).

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2008 9:10 AM   in reply to ManChicken1911
    Altering the registry permissions also fixed my issues too. I also discovered that my slow updates were from my antivirus (NOD32). I need to remember to disable that when CS3 updates so that it doesn't rescan the log files everytime the patchers update them. Went from a painful 90 minutes to just seconds.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2008 10:41 AM   in reply to Fesick
    Now that the defect has been identified, when will a patch be available for those who prefer not to manually edit the registry?

Best,
    Christopher

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)