Skip navigation
Premiere Beginner!
Currently Being Moderated

Strategies Needed for Muting Short Segments & Beep Overlay

Jan 22, 2013 5:16 PM

Tags: #mute #beeps #short_segments

Within a clip, how do I mute (silence) multiple, short segments that are comprised of only one or two words? 

I am also considering how I might then overlay a "beep" sound over these muted spots? 

I greatly appreciate your support . . . I am a beginner (this is my first time doing any video/audio editing).  Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 22, 2013 6:06 PM   in reply to Premiere Beginner!

You simply keyframe the audio levels.

You can download my free "Basic Keyframing" tutorial on this page.

http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchphrase=basic+keyframing&btn.x=0& btn.y=0

How you keyframe audio depends on which version of the program you're using.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 3:44 AM   in reply to Premiere Beginner!

In Steves books, you can also look for Audio Mixer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 4:08 PM   in reply to Premiere Beginner!

For most Effects, one CAN Copy them, and then Paste them into other Clips, and the Fixed Effect>Volume is one.

However, as Keyframes are time related, when a "source" Clip differs in Duration from the "destination" Clip(s), more handwork is usually required to adjust those Pasted Keyframes.

The process for the Copy/Paste is, as follows:

1. Make adjustments to the first Clip, as required.
    2. Rt-click on that Clip, and choose Copy.
    3. Select all other "destination" Clips, Rt-click on them, and choose Paste Attributes.

Just remember that Duration differences will require manual adjustment to the Pasted Keyframes.

Steve mentioned using the Audio Mixer, in his reply above. Given what you have, it might be the best course of action here. Now, Audio Mixer places Keyframes too, but with one big difference: rather than attaching those Keyframes to a Clip, or Clips, they are placed onto the Audio Track. If you later move Clips around, Delete them, add any, the Keyframes remain, just as they were placed, and the actual Clip has no bearing on them at all. Before you use the Audio Mixer to add Track Keyframes, it is much better to have ALL Audio editing done first.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points