Skip navigation
hawk.mr
Currently Being Moderated

New computer - transferring catalog question

Jan 22, 2013 8:00 PM

Hello,

I run PSE v9, and planned to simply remove my hard drive from my old computer, install it as a second drive on my new computer, and transfer my photos and catalog from the old drive to the new drive.  I didn't realize how convoluted the process is.

I'm looking for help in the best way to proceed.  Here is more detail.

- Running PSE v9

- My old drive is now called F: on my new computer

- My new computer's drive is partitioned, where C: is the program file location (including the default location for PSE catalogs) and the D: partition is the data partition.

- All of my ~25000 old photos are on the F: drive, under F:\PHOTOS\.  I manually copied them to D:\PHOTOS\, too.

- I've located my old catalog files on the F: drive

- I've installed PSE v9 on the new computer (which is Windows 8, btw)

- I also have an external drive, should that somehow be useful in this process.

What I've tried:

Method 1: Manual copy

I manually copied F:\PHOTOS\ to D:\PHOTOS\.  I then manually copied the catalog to the new PC's C: partition and configured PSE to point to this catalog.  This part seemed to work - PSE Organizer picked up all the file names from this catalog but unfortunately was "smart enough" to link to the F:\ location (even though it was the C: drive on the old computer).  I thought (remembered?) the reconnect feature to be much smarter than it apparently is, and it seems it would take days to reconnect my files to the proper D: location.

Method 2: Backup and Restore

My old PC is gone.  But I figured I could just configure PSE to point to the original catalog on the F drive since, as method #1 showed, PSE was smart enough to link all the files as well.  I'd then just do a full catalog backup to an external drive, then a restore to the new D: drive.  However, when I try this, the backup gets about 80% complete then fails with a non-descript error.

Any other suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2013 5:43 AM   in reply to hawk.mr

hawk.mr wrote:

Method 1: Manual copy

I manually copied F:\PHOTOS\ to D:\PHOTOS\.  I then manually copied the catalog to the new PC's C: partition and configured PSE to point to this catalog.  This part seemed to work - PSE Organizer picked up all the file names from this catalog but unfortunately was "smart enough" to link to the F:\ location (even though it was the C: drive on the old computer).  I thought (remembered?) the reconnect feature to be much smarter than it apparently is, and it seems it would take days to reconnect my files to the proper D: location.

The reason Organizer could relink to the F: location is that the drive is identified in the database by the drive serial number.

You are right, the reconnect feature in V9 is akward and may need some time.

You have probably read these Adobe papers, but I think the links may be useful to other forum readers:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/cant-edit-open-reconnect- photos.html

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/common-catalog-issues-upg rade-elements.html

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/elementsorganizer/using/WSae2ea3b149d0c359 1ae939f103860b3d59-7f59_WIN.html (useful for new PSE11 users)

To help reconnecting, you may start with the auto-reconnect and do as indicated in the help file:

"You can interrupt an auto-reconnect and browse for the file using the Reconnect Missing Files dialog box. This dialog box is useful if you want Elements Organizer to look for missing files in a particular folder."

That way, you can browse to the master folder and have all its subfolders reconnected.

Edit also see:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/333/333358.html

Method 2: Backup and Restore

My old PC is gone.  But I figured I could just configure PSE to point to the original catalog on the F drive since, as method #1 showed, PSE was smart enough to link all the files as well.  I'd then just do a full catalog backup to an external drive, then a restore to the new D: drive.  However, when I try this, the backup gets about 80% complete then fails with a non-descript error.

This is normally the best way to do the transfer. But you have met a rather common situation where the backup stops at a fixed % of the process.

There may be several reasons for such 'freezes'. Here is an example :

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4979985#4979985

It's difficult to know what is the reason, but from other posts in this forum, it seems that the most common one is the presence of  'problem' media files, corrupted or unrecognized (particularly video files). Other reasons : permission rights, incorrect file names or extensions. If the solutions in the above link don't work, the search for the 'offending' files can be a long process of trials and errors in which you try the backup after having removed selected files from the catalog.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 27, 2013 11:31 PM   in reply to hawk.mr

... and many thanks for the feedback and good description of your workflow ! That should be useful for many other readers in the same situation.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points