Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to autoflow a very long word in InDesign?

Jan 23, 2013 7:40 AM

Tags: #cs3 #import #text_flow #text_file #auto_flow #long_text

I am trying to insert/import/paste a text into InDesign. The text contains some text-strings (or 'words') that are more than 3000 characters long. This causes InDesign to have overset text, and not being able to auto-flow the text.

When I import (or paste) the text I am shift+clicking (I have also tried option+shift+click) to make the text auto-flow down along the pages, but the auto-flow stops at page 16 (where the long 'words' start to occur), although my file contains more than 200 pages. I get the little red plus sign below in the last text-box, that indicates that I have overset text.

I then tried to click the red plus sign and continue the text-flow on the following pages, but I just end up with empty text-boxes on the following pages every time I try click the red plus sign.

I removed the long 'words', and tried again, and now InDesign does not appear to have an issue with my text. So the problem is caused by the long 'words'.

The format of the text is unimportant (I have tried .rtf and .txt) and InDesign is able to recognise both.

However, I cannot insert spaces or end-of-line into these long 'words', as this would change the 'words'. The number of characters in each 'word' is important, and if I start adding extra spaces or end-of-line charecters it would change the 'words'.

I have a lot of places in the text where I have these long 'words', and I would like to avoid too much clicking and inserting to get around this issue.

I am running InDesign CS3 on a Macintosh 10.5.8 computer

I would be grateful if anyone have an idea how to work around these.

Thanks in advance for both your time and help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to swknudsen

Is there a problem if these words are hyphenated? It seems you have hyphenation turned off at the moment OR ID most likley would have inserted hyphens to break the words across multiple lines.

If hyphens are not acceptable, is a break in the word without a hyphen acceptable? If the answer to that is "no" you're out of luck unless you make your text frame wide enough to hold the longest word. If it's "yes" you can insert Discretionary Line Break characters to allow the words to break, but automating the process might be difficult. A lot more detail would really help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 8:48 AM   in reply to swknudsen

Why don't the words break at the hyphens? Would additional hyphens be a problem?

Hyphenation is a paragraph level attribute, so it can be found inthe panel menu for the Paragraph panel or the Control panel when the Text tool is active, or it can be turned on or off in the paragraph style assigned to the text, which is probably the best place to do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 9:09 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

Why don't the words break at the hyphens? Would additional hyphens be a problem?

Hyphenation is a paragraph level attribute, so it can be found inthe panel menu for the Paragraph panel or the Control panel when the Text tool is active, or it can be turned on or off in the paragraph style assigned to the text, which is probably the best place to do it.

Perhaps they aren't true hyphens? To test, copy and paste one into the Find What text field and type a hyphen into the the Change To field, and try a single find/change. If that works, save copies of the documents before trying find/change all.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to peter at knowhowpro

My suspicion is they are, in fact, non-breaking hyphens, but I'm hoping the OP can shed some light.

I have to say that some screenshots might be useful, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to swknudsen

I think you probably want regular hyphens, not discretionary, if they are meant to be there. Dicretionary hyphens only appear when the word breaks at the line ending.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points